Skip to main content

Remembering Your Why

This is not a To Do List. This is a Cosmic Book
of Hopes and Dreams and Deeper Whys.
(Sculpture by David Kracov)
I've spent the last week or so in a heightened state of anxiety. It has not been fun. I tried blaming in on the move and all the extra stuff there is to do with the house and the life. I've spent more than four hours at the DMV in the last week and I still have to go back one more time. That's reason enough for anxiety, right?

But then, last night, (after having a mini anxiety attack) I remembered what my last therapist said to me around this same time last year. Amy, this is your stress time. Every year, the activities and responsibilities ramp up in October, hit a frenzied peak in mid December, and then slowly descend back to normal by New Years. And every year your anxiety follows the same path.

This happens every year for me since I had kids.

Every. Damn. Year.

And every year I am surprised by it (Every. Damn. Year.) and try to shove it down and push on through and explain it away with special circumstances (like moving to a new state). Every year I pile on the responsibilities. And every year, subconsciously,  I feel like I'm not up to snuff. (I don't actively think, Wow, I'm really failing at this. But if you dig down a layer, that's the underlying belief when I can't get EVERYTHING done perfectly ALL THE TIME. I've been through enough therapy to recognize that much!)

What really irks me about this is that I've been a mother for almost eleven years and I still have not retained this life lesson.

I'm normally such a good student, this must be due to the demise of many braincells since having kids.

So, following said revelation yesterday, I took a step back and reassessed. I re-instituted some self-care and refocused my thinking and my priorities. I got back to meditating and using essential oils. I reminded myself how much movement helps. And, THE BIG ONE:

I remembered my WHY.

This is two fold for me. Part of the reason for the extra bump in anxiety this week is that we are now two days away from November 1. For me, that's two days away from the start of NaNoWriMo! (For those new to this blog, that's National Novel Writing Month. Where writers from all over the world commit to writing 50,000 words in 30 days-- essentially that's writing a novel--or a large chunk of one--in a month. This will be my 7th year participating in NaNoWriMo.)

So my DEEPER WHY is connected to my family life: To build a fun and love-filled life for me and my family and friends-- and my writing life: To connect with others through words and stories, and make the world a less lonely place to be.

When you're stressing about getting your house in order and your new license plates and winter gear for the kids and cleaning for guests and oh my God what novel am I going to write in November and I haven't done any research and my outlines not done and....OH MY GOD!-- It can be a good time to remember your why.

Why are you here? Why do you do what you do? What do you want your legacy to be?

Is it to be a stressed out ball of angst?

Probably not.

Is it to be perfect at everything you do?

Not actually possible. Plus, subjective measuring stick. Perfectly dusted furniture means different things to me and my mom. Trust me.

So what is it?

Remembering our deeper why can help us refocus on what really matters and why we do what we do.

So, if, like me, you sometimes get sucked in to the frenetic pace that can be life in our world today, and you find yourself stressed out trying to do it all-- if your body reminds you that you're heading down the wrong path (with headaches or indigestion or sleep troubles or aches and pains or whatever), then take a moment to step back and remember your deeper why.

And then remember it again and again, with every sunrise. This is why you're here. This is why you do what you do.

And, always, take care of you.

Until next time, love on, dear ones!


P.S. If you'd like to read more about dealing with anxiety, check out these previous blog posts:https://mamamanagement.blogspot.com/2018/04/anxiety-confessions.html
https://mamamanagement.blogspot.com/2018/04/fear.html
https://mamamanagement.blogspot.com/2018/06/self-care-why-is-it-always-first-thing.html
https://mamamanagement.blogspot.com/2018/09/she-let-go.html
https://mamamanagement.blogspot.com/2018/12/holiday-stress-and-anxiety.html
https://mamamanagement.blogspot.com/search/label/Anxiety

P.P.S. If you're interested in using guided mediations, there are lots of free apps out there to help you. I use Insight Timer, which I highly recommend, but there are many others. Here's my current favorite guided mediation to help me slow down and recenter: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BFwT_r4b57c

P.P.P.S. And don't forget to cheer me on for NaNoWriMo 2019! It starts Friday and I can you all the support I can get! Thanks, friends!


Comments

  1. Amy, I love your blog! Thanks for writing about things I think we can all relate to. Yes, October is definitely a ramp up to all the anxiety that comes with the holidays, and you go and add your writing challenge! Seriously though, I applaud you for doing those things you care about most in your life, and I wish you the best of luck this year with your novel writing. Oh, and I have two more words for you...SPA DAY.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Karla! And yes to the SPA DAY!! I'm actually planning a SPA WEEKEND with a dear friend for January as my reward for...well, just living my life! Here's hoping we all skate through the chaos and just enjoy the holiday season this year!! xo

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts

Crunchy Ramen Noodle Salad…I am so in love!

Here's a great little summer dish. A perfect side for whatever you've thrown on the grill. A great dish to pass for that neighborhood BBQ. A lovely salad to just make up and leave in the fridge for easy lunches on a hot day. It's Ramen Noodle Salad. Now, I'm not sure this dish actually qualifies as clean eating, despite the word "salad" in it's name…what with the ramen noodles and the seasoning packet. But it is so seriously good that I could have eaten the ENTIRE giant bowl of it. Seriously. When I made it last week I could not stop eating it. It might actually be a little addictive. So, don't say I didn't warn you... Crunchy Ramen Noodle Salad 2 pkg uncooked ramen noodles 2.5 oz sliced almonds (or just a big handful) 3/4 c. sunflower seeds 1/2 c. finely chopped onion (whatever kind you have) 1 bag broccoli slaw 2 ramen noodle seasoning packets 3/4 c. oil (use what you like; I used canola oil) 1/2 c. white vinegar 1/3 c. sugar

OMG Honey Mustard Pretzel-Crusted Chicken...So Good!

I made this chicken last weekend when we had family in visiting...this drives my husband nuts when I try out new recipes when we have guests...just because one little time dinner turned out awful! (Seriously, it was barely edible. Oops!) I say, this is the occasional price we pay for wonderful food exploration! And this Honey Mustard Pretzel-Crusted Chicken is a fantastic example of just that! It. Was. Delish.  So here you have it...tasty AND company-worthy! (My 4 year old loved it too...I mean, who doesn't love pretzels and honey mustard!) Honey Mustard Pretzel-Crusted Chicken   (from cinnamonspiceandeverythingnice.com) 4 c. hard sourdough pretzels, coarsely crushed 1/2 c. olive oil 1/2 c. Dijon mustard 1/3 c. honey 1/4 c. water 3 tbsp red wine vinegar (or other mild vinegar...I used white wine because it's what I had on hand) coarse salt and black pepper 1 1/2 lb boneless, skinless chicken breasts Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Set wire rack (like oven-safe coo

30 Days to a New Me: Danette May's 30 Day New You Challenge Review

 A little more than 30 days ago I was in despair. If you read my last post, you already know that I found myself in a post holiday/start of a new year funk. And I knew that a big part of that funk had to do with how I was (or in this case, wasn't) taking care of myself. I had let the holiday season take over my life and my better judgment. I had given up good eating and exercise habits. I had stopped writing. I hadn't had a moment to myself. It was not good. But one part of where I was mentally, emotionally and physically wasn't just holiday backlash. It was part of a bigger problem. Since we moved to our current home over three years ago, I had gained weight. A lot of weight, for me. (As of January 1, I weighed the most I had ever weighed outside of pregnancy.) I had tried many, many times to lose that weight, as I was gaining it, over the last few years. I used the same methods I had always successfully used to lose/maintain weight or increase fitness--stepping