February 17, 2017

30 Days to a New Me: Danette May's 30 Day New You Challenge Review

 A little more than 30 days ago I was in despair. If you read my last post, you already know that I found myself in a post holiday/start of a new year funk. And I knew that a big part of that funk had to do with how I was (or in this case, wasn't) taking care of myself.

I had let the holiday season take over my life and my better judgment. I had given up good eating and exercise habits. I had stopped writing. I hadn't had a moment to myself.

It was not good.

But one part of where I was mentally, emotionally and physically wasn't just holiday backlash. It was part of a bigger problem.

Since we moved to our current home over three years ago, I had gained weight. A lot of weight, for me. (As of January 1, I weighed the most I had ever weighed outside of pregnancy.) I had tried many, many times to lose that weight, as I was gaining it, over the last few years. I used the same methods I had always successfully used to lose/maintain weight or increase fitness--stepping up my workouts and making mostly healthier choices with food. But suddenly it stopped working for me. I'd work really hard and not lose a pound. Then I'd get discouraged, give up and slowly gain even more.

Vicious cycle, as they say.

So, three and a half years and almost twenty pounds later, I found myself scrolling through my Facebook feed in early January when I happened upon a page someone I knew had "liked." It was for Danette May's 30 Day New You Challenge. In a moment of kismet, I clicked on the link, read through everything, and, rather impulsively, signed up. (It was only $47, so I figured it wasn't a huge amount to lose if it was a flop.) A few days later, on January 9, I began the 30 day challenge.

I finished that challenge last week and that morning I took my measurements. I lost 9 lbs and 9 inches in those 30 days. I look and feel better and I know I'm healthier for it.
This transformation far exceeded my expectations the day I clicked that link. I've had such success that I am continuing on the program for the foreseeable future. While I do hope to lose another 5-10 lbs, that's not the entire reason I'll keep going. It's not even really about the weight. It's about how I feel mentally, emotionally and physically. I haven't felt this good in a long while. And I now believe that this is a way of life for me...and I hope it stays that way.


I feel so passionately about this experience--not only because it worked, but because it's a very sane, healthy approach to weight loss; no drugs and nothing crazy-- that I felt I had to share it with all of you.

So what's this program all about? Here are the basics:

It's called Danette May's 30 Day New You Challenge. It lasts 30 days and costs $47. For that you get weekly clean-eating meal plans, including recipes for 3 meals and 3 snacks each day (the plan tells you exactly what to eat and when to eat it); weekly mindset meditations to listen to each day to help get your mind right for getting healthy; weekly workout plans complete with workout videos (most weeks you do a 12-18 minute workout with Danette on four of the days and then walk for 15 minutes or do some other light exercise the other 3 days); and access to an online Facebook support group of other people going through the challenge with you, as well as mentors who have been through it and are there to answer your questions. The meals, snacks and drinks are all clean--no processed foods, no white sugar or white flour. And you give up caffeine and alcohol for the first ten days. (After that, one cup of coffee per day and 1-2 glasses of wine per week are permitted.)

What about my take on things? Here it is:

The first 3 days of the challenge include a detox. This is the hardest part of the challenge. You will be hungry. It's definitely a willpower thing, especially that first day. Have some support at the ready for the start. (I'd be happy to be your support. :-) And the whole first week you'll get your own personalized set of detoxifying symptoms. For me, I had some headaches and lethargy and skin breakouts. The other thing you need to know is that there is a fair amount of food shopping and prep involved. And you kind of have to commit to not eating out much during the 30 days--it'll just make it easier on you not to eat out. You really have to commit to the whole thing overall. But, if you do, if you really commit and follow the plan, I think you'll be really happy with the results. I know I have been. (And I'll keep you posted on my own progress.)

**Note: I have never been able to stick to a prescriptive eating plan for more than a few days--ever--before this one. But on this one, I felt good; it made sense to me; I had support; and it was the right time--I was ready. Plus, with the meals and snacks (most of which are really good), I really wasn't hungry after the detox days.

Other thoughts:

The program introduced me to foods and meals that I hadn't had before and discovered that I really liked. And other than still craving tortilla chips...which I will have for a cheat meal one of these days ;-)...eating like this had killed most of my cravings for unhealthy foods and my desire to randomly snack.

I also really love the meditations--so much of this is mental, and I think they helped. I liked them so much that I'm adding other meditations to my daily life too. (I'll share more on that in another post.)

The Facebook support group and mentors were really helpful--but it was also kind of addictive. I spent a lot of time reading through everything each day. The whole program was a bit addictive--but I think maybe it needed to be. I was super focused on it the entire 30 days.

The workouts were great--challenging but short. I like getting my workout in in about 20 minutes! Before this, I always devoted 30-45 minutes to my workouts. I also like that Danette's workouts are very mentally positive and up-lifting. It's not all "look great in your bikini" but more "feel great in your body." As she says, "Love the body you live in!"

Interested in giving it go? The next challenge starts in early March. Click this link to learn more:

http://59894eyms6z7rh6pp2w509aobx.hop.clickbank.net/?pid=265&tid=amylorbach2017

Do I get anything for you using my link? Yep. A t-shirt. I moved from the 30 Day Challenge group to Danette's Forever Fit group so I could continue on the plan with more support. She offers us "alumni" the chance to refer people if we liked the program and win a cute t-shirt. That's it. You can also just go to her website to find out more. I can live without the t-shirt. It's more important to me that you join if you think it's right for you. Like I said, it has really helped me.

If you'd like to learn more about Danette May and what she does, you can check out her website here:  www.danettemay.com. She also has lots of Youtube videos and is on Pinterest and Instagram, so check her out there for more information. I find her relatable, believable, supportive and helpful.

So, that's all I have to say about that. Oh, wait, one more thing-- my husband did the eating part of the program with me and lost 10 lbs too. So it works for women and men! I highly recommend getting your spouse on board too, if you can. Having my husband's support and doing it together helped A LOT! And I think it was good for our relationship, too!

Until next time, go get your healthy on!







No comments:

Post a Comment