Skip to main content

The Next Right Thing: Following Your Intuition In Your Daily Life

Does your schedule run your life? 

Does your to-do list? 

Do you find yourself often running on autopilot, mindlessly accomplishing tasks barely aware of what you're doing...and maybe even why you're doing it? 

Do you ever look at certain processes at work (or at home) and think, why do we even do this? Or, why do we do it this way? And the only real answer is because that's how we've always done it.

I have. Especially the to-do list thing. 

Living your life on autopilot, doing things just to check them off a list, doing things simply because we've always done them...these are all signs of mindless living. And mindless living can, quite easily, lead to anxiety and depression. (Case in point: my list making started as an anxiety coping mechanism. (Write it down then you won't worry about forgetting to do it.) But it eventually turned into an anxiety inciter when the lists started running my life.)

When you're asleep at the wheel of your own life, following an outdated roadmap that someone else created, it's nearly impossible to have a meaningful, fulfilling life. Which is why it's so important to wake up. 

An easy-to-relate-to mindless living example is to mindless eating, because pretty much everyone has done it at least occasionally.

Mindless eating looks like eating by a clock rather than by your body's cues. (It's 7am, time for breakfast. Noon? Time for lunch. 6pm? Dinner.) Mindless eating also looks like habit. (Whenever I sit down in front of the TV at night, I must have a snack. Because I'm hungry? Maybe I am, maybe I'm not. But habit tells me: snack!) Mindless eating can also be multitasking while you eat. (Eating while you watch TV, read, check email, work, or look at your phone.) Mindless eating is looking down at your plate (or bag of chips, or container of ice cream), shocked to find it empty. How did I eat the whole bag or the entire pint? It's really any kind of eating in which you're not actually focused on the food and the act of eating.

I think most of us are aware of the concept of mindless eating. And most of us have experienced it ourselves--for some of us at every meal. But what about mindless living? Blindly following the schedule. Living for checking things off the list. Accepting and following cultural norms simply because they're norms. Letting something outside ourselves tell us how to spend our every minute.

It's not good, friends. It's just not. We need to wake up and check back into our lives. We need to find a better way.

For me, right now, that better way is something I call, The Next Right Thing.

The idea is pretty simple: Instead of mindlessly moving from task to task each day, or being stressed out by the length of my to-do list and how I'll get it all done, I simply focus on one task at a time. 

When that task is done, I pause and think about the transition to the next thing. I consider what to do next and ask myself what feels right. Am I hungry? Maybe it's time to eat. Am I sleepy? Do I need to move? Step outside for some fresh air? Go pet the dog for a minute or two? 

I just ask myself: What's the next right thing? And then I let my intuition (body/gut/instinct/little voice inside/whatever you want to call it) guide me.

Of course, we all have certain things that are scheduled to start at certain times and we need to respect the time we promise to other people. But if you give it a go, I promise you'll find more times than you might expect throughout your day that you can ask yourself, What's the next right thing?

Right now, as I'm writing this blog post, I can sense myself getting a little antsy. I can tell I need to move soon. (I notice this because I'm learning to become more tuned in to my body and the signals it sends me.) So, I'm going to practice what I preach right now. I'm pausing here for a moment to ask myself: What's the next right thing? Is it finishing this post before I do anything else? Or is it taking a break to stretch and maybe eat something, and then coming back to finish this? (Answer? I need the break.)

I'm back and feeling more able to focus and less heavy-eyed, so I think taking a break was the right choice. And before I came back to writing, I asked myself again: What's the next right thing? Because maybe I needed spend some time painting or gathering laundry or working on novel revisions before I came back to this task. And that would be okay.

I find that if I tune in to my body, my body is pretty clear about what it needs and when. I also find I'm more successful at tasks when I take cues from my gut. It feels like doing the right thing.

Try it out for yourself. Experiment. Pick a day to slow down and tune in and give some thought to how you spend your time. Do you really want to spend the next twenty minutes scrolling social media? Maybe you do. But maybe you're just mindlessly doing it because it's a habit, or it's right in front of you, so it's easy. Maybe, if you checked in with yourself you'd rather make a cup of tea or go for a walk or organize your filing cabinet. 

Until next time, ask yourself: What's the next right thing? And try doing that.

Namaste in bed.

Namaste, bitches.

Namaste.






Comments

Popular Posts

Crunchy Ramen Noodle Salad…I am so in love!

Here's a great little summer dish. A perfect side for whatever you've thrown on the grill. A great dish to pass for that neighborhood BBQ. A lovely salad to just make up and leave in the fridge for easy lunches on a hot day. It's Ramen Noodle Salad. Now, I'm not sure this dish actually qualifies as clean eating, despite the word "salad" in it's name…what with the ramen noodles and the seasoning packet. But it is so seriously good that I could have eaten the ENTIRE giant bowl of it. Seriously. When I made it last week I could not stop eating it. It might actually be a little addictive. So, don't say I didn't warn you... Crunchy Ramen Noodle Salad 2 pkg uncooked ramen noodles 2.5 oz sliced almonds (or just a big handful) 3/4 c. sunflower seeds 1/2 c. finely chopped onion (whatever kind you have) 1 bag broccoli slaw 2 ramen noodle seasoning packets 3/4 c. oil (use what you like; I used canola oil) 1/2 c. white vinegar 1/3 c. sugar

OMG Honey Mustard Pretzel-Crusted Chicken...So Good!

I made this chicken last weekend when we had family in visiting...this drives my husband nuts when I try out new recipes when we have guests...just because one little time dinner turned out awful! (Seriously, it was barely edible. Oops!) I say, this is the occasional price we pay for wonderful food exploration! And this Honey Mustard Pretzel-Crusted Chicken is a fantastic example of just that! It. Was. Delish.  So here you have it...tasty AND company-worthy! (My 4 year old loved it too...I mean, who doesn't love pretzels and honey mustard!) Honey Mustard Pretzel-Crusted Chicken   (from cinnamonspiceandeverythingnice.com) 4 c. hard sourdough pretzels, coarsely crushed 1/2 c. olive oil 1/2 c. Dijon mustard 1/3 c. honey 1/4 c. water 3 tbsp red wine vinegar (or other mild vinegar...I used white wine because it's what I had on hand) coarse salt and black pepper 1 1/2 lb boneless, skinless chicken breasts Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Set wire rack (like oven-safe coo

30 Days to a New Me: Danette May's 30 Day New You Challenge Review

 A little more than 30 days ago I was in despair. If you read my last post, you already know that I found myself in a post holiday/start of a new year funk. And I knew that a big part of that funk had to do with how I was (or in this case, wasn't) taking care of myself. I had let the holiday season take over my life and my better judgment. I had given up good eating and exercise habits. I had stopped writing. I hadn't had a moment to myself. It was not good. But one part of where I was mentally, emotionally and physically wasn't just holiday backlash. It was part of a bigger problem. Since we moved to our current home over three years ago, I had gained weight. A lot of weight, for me. (As of January 1, I weighed the most I had ever weighed outside of pregnancy.) I had tried many, many times to lose that weight, as I was gaining it, over the last few years. I used the same methods I had always successfully used to lose/maintain weight or increase fitness--stepping