Skip to main content

2019 Goals: Continue, Return to, More of...


I always spend time at the beginning of each year thinking about the year ahead of me. I have this notebook in which I've been writing thoughts and dreams and goals and ideas for years. I pull this notebook out and I look at it. I flip through the pages and soak in all of the aspiration and energy that radiates off the paper. It's like taking a bath in optimist soup! Then I focus in on what I wrote last year.

What was I brainstorming about? What was I trying to do? And what of that did I accomplish?

When I've done all of that, I usually start brainstorming around the new year. In the past I've even come up with a theme for the new year and centered my goals around that theme.

But this year was a little different.

First of all, now that writing has become more of a job than a hobby for me, I create two separate lists: one of writing goals and one of life goals. Like anyone with a career, you're likely to have work goals and personal goals. For me, those two worlds used to overlap more. Now, writing is such a focus of mine that it needs its own list.

But, what struck me when I looked at my goals for last year, is that I found I had actually accomplished a lot of what I set out to do. My daily life was taking the shape--most of the time--that I had been seeking for years. That was so exciting to realize! I felt like I had really made some genuine progress. But I also found that some things that I had done well at the beginning of 2018 and fallen off more than I would like by the year's end. And, I found some goals I hadn't really made much headway on at all.

I closed my notebook and walked away to give it all some time to stew. And what I ended up with were a few short lists on a scratch pad--lists that came quite easily-- that captured my goals for 2019. And the lists were grouped differently from how I'd done it before.

First I listed things that I wanted to CONTINUE. These are the things that I had accomplished last year and wanted to carry on into the new year. This list gives a nod to all that I accomplished in 2018, and recognizes that it will take work to keep those things up. Here's what landed on that list:

Continue...
- Writing
- Daily meditation
- Art Play
- Blogging
- Reading
- Sleeping well

The next list captured the things that I was doing well at the beginning of 2018 (or maybe it was back in 2017!), but somehow lost track of as the year went on. These are things that I want to get back on track with in 2019. They are my RETURN TOs. That list looked like this:

Return to...
- Daily workouts
- Healthy eating
- Journalling/Gratitude practice
- Walking the dog
- Stretching
- Vitamins and supplements
- Hubby-time

Then came the list of new things. This is the stuff that I want MORE OF in my life than I have had in recent years. It's the stuff that I've never done but want to do...or learn. This is the hardest list for me to keep contained. Because once I get started brainstorming all the things I want to do and learn, it's really easy for me to get carried away. So I tried to keep this list reasonable. I left things off like, learning to play the guitar, deciding that I would put that on next years list. This is where I ended up:

More of...
- Travel and adventure
- Baking
- Being outside
- Cooking intuitively (without a recipe)
- Learning to sew/knit/quilt/crochet...something in that area
- Friend-time
- Family-time

When I got to this point I felt there was one category missing. Something that felt more like a project list. You know, all those one-off things that you want to do but never seem to find the time to do? A great example of this is organizing photos/making photo albums. This has been on my list for, like, five years. And I have yet to do it. BUT, I still want to...really, I do. So, it goes on this list:

Things to do...
- Clean out and organize
- Donations
- Cooking class with the kids
- Make photo books (see?!?!)
- Learn Scrivener
- Read more writing books
- Make a vision board
- Take local trips
- Do January DM Resolution Reboot (this is underway, btw)

When I was done with all of this list making I found that I really liked this "categoried" approach. I even liked it enough to want to share it with all of you.

When I went back over my writing goals, I discovered that that list could be divided into these "Continue, Return to, More of, Things to do" categories, too. Things like: "Continue taking Masterclass writing classes," and "Return to journal writing," and "More of short story writing."

But, I'll tell you, I keep track of my writing goals on a monthly calendar and I have a lot more structure around my process and progress there (as most folks would do, with any job).

So now that I have my 2019 goals in place, and I've started down the path of achieving them, I want to make sure that I check in on those goals...that I don't forget today's New Year energy and passion behind them. So I keep them out where I can see them. And I look at them daily. And I hold myself accountable. Or, at least, I try to.

Because that's how we go after dreams. We pursue them, day in and day out. And we keep our eye on the prize. I feel comfortable saying that I've transformed my daily life over the last few years. The things I used to only wish for, are now a part of my reality. That's what goals can do.

So ask yourself this: What do I want to CONTINUE this year? What do I want to RETURN TO? What do I want MORE OF? And, What are some one-off projects I really want TO DO?

Until next time, here are some words to motivate you as you tackle your 2019 goals:

You are powerful.
You are wise.
You are free.
You are fierce.
You radiate love.
You shine.

Namaste.




Comments



  1. Well thanks for the information, do not forget to visit my blog too.
    visit our website

    ReplyDelete


  2. Thanks for sharing the information. It is very useful for my future. keep sharing
    visit our website

    ReplyDelete

  3. I just want to say thanks for your wonderful post, it is contain a lot of knowledge and information that i needed right now. Now i need to my bolg, you can play game fun, action here :
    visit our website

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts

Crunchy Ramen Noodle Salad…I am so in love!

Here's a great little summer dish. A perfect side for whatever you've thrown on the grill. A great dish to pass for that neighborhood BBQ. A lovely salad to just make up and leave in the fridge for easy lunches on a hot day. It's Ramen Noodle Salad. Now, I'm not sure this dish actually qualifies as clean eating, despite the word "salad" in it's name…what with the ramen noodles and the seasoning packet. But it is so seriously good that I could have eaten the ENTIRE giant bowl of it. Seriously. When I made it last week I could not stop eating it. It might actually be a little addictive. So, don't say I didn't warn you... Crunchy Ramen Noodle Salad 2 pkg uncooked ramen noodles 2.5 oz sliced almonds (or just a big handful) 3/4 c. sunflower seeds 1/2 c. finely chopped onion (whatever kind you have) 1 bag broccoli slaw 2 ramen noodle seasoning packets 3/4 c. oil (use what you like; I used canola oil) 1/2 c. white vinegar 1/3 c. sugar

OMG Honey Mustard Pretzel-Crusted Chicken...So Good!

I made this chicken last weekend when we had family in visiting...this drives my husband nuts when I try out new recipes when we have guests...just because one little time dinner turned out awful! (Seriously, it was barely edible. Oops!) I say, this is the occasional price we pay for wonderful food exploration! And this Honey Mustard Pretzel-Crusted Chicken is a fantastic example of just that! It. Was. Delish.  So here you have it...tasty AND company-worthy! (My 4 year old loved it too...I mean, who doesn't love pretzels and honey mustard!) Honey Mustard Pretzel-Crusted Chicken   (from cinnamonspiceandeverythingnice.com) 4 c. hard sourdough pretzels, coarsely crushed 1/2 c. olive oil 1/2 c. Dijon mustard 1/3 c. honey 1/4 c. water 3 tbsp red wine vinegar (or other mild vinegar...I used white wine because it's what I had on hand) coarse salt and black pepper 1 1/2 lb boneless, skinless chicken breasts Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Set wire rack (like oven-safe coo

30 Days to a New Me: Danette May's 30 Day New You Challenge Review

 A little more than 30 days ago I was in despair. If you read my last post, you already know that I found myself in a post holiday/start of a new year funk. And I knew that a big part of that funk had to do with how I was (or in this case, wasn't) taking care of myself. I had let the holiday season take over my life and my better judgment. I had given up good eating and exercise habits. I had stopped writing. I hadn't had a moment to myself. It was not good. But one part of where I was mentally, emotionally and physically wasn't just holiday backlash. It was part of a bigger problem. Since we moved to our current home over three years ago, I had gained weight. A lot of weight, for me. (As of January 1, I weighed the most I had ever weighed outside of pregnancy.) I had tried many, many times to lose that weight, as I was gaining it, over the last few years. I used the same methods I had always successfully used to lose/maintain weight or increase fitness--stepping