Skip to main content

Note to Self


Over the years I have become a master in the art of notes. I make notes to myself in my phone, on sticky notes, in my calendar, on long lists, in writing notebooks and planning notebooks, and in my head. I leave notes for my kids in their lunch boxes. I write notes in cards and emails and text messages to my family and friends. I send reminder notes and favor notes and random thoughts to my husband when he's at work.

I have note pads and note books and note apps galore. Lots of places and spaces to make notes to myself. Do this. Do that. Don't forget this. Remember that. And I love them. They give me a certain sense of security. They assuage my anxiety. Or, at least I thought they did. I mean, they did...until they didn't.

Somewhere along the line my note making went from being a helpful habit to being something more akin to an addiction. But, as far as I know, there's no twelve step program for note making. So, I'm on my own with this one.

Over the last few months I've started trying to curb my note-making addiction-- the writing and rewriting of to dos and ideas and whatnot. When I have the urge to write something down or make a note in my phone, I stop and ask myself, Do I really need to write this down? Is it already written down somewhere else? Is this something I'll remember to do on my own? 

Appointments I write down. Reminders for things related to the kids' activities or school, I write down. But most of the other stuff, if I'm honest, I probably don't need to write down. And I certainly don't need to have it noted in my phone and in my calendar and on a sticky note.

I'm so worried about letting something fall through the cracks, that I write it all down so that everything gets covered. But, guess what? Things still fall through the cracks. And it often doesn't make me feel better to write it down, it just makes me think about all the things there are to do. So, I'm trying to stop.

You would not believe how hard it is to stop making lists.

It's, like, crazy hard. Harder than stopping snacking in the evening. Harder than getting back into an exercise routine after time off. Harder than...well, you get the picture.

Then I heard this song called Note to Self by Ben Rector, and it made me look at my notes to myself in a different way. What if I used them to remind me of the important things instead of the seemingly urgent things? (You know, use my powers for good rather than evil.)

The song starts off with things you might find on a typical to do list:
- Clean the living room.
- Fold the laundry.
- Exercise.

But then it moves to a different kind of to do list:
- Don't worry so much.
- Think of other people more.
- Keep choosing your significant other.
- Call your mother.

This inspired me to consider a new goal for 2019. To only write notes to myself like this...
- Remember to stop and look around.
- Breathe.
- Go for a walk in the fresh air.
- Call a friend.
- Do one thing at a time.
- Savor each bite.
- Give more.
- Tell yourself your beautiful.
- Smile.
- Cuddle with the kids.

I'm trying to start this now, but it's hard for me. Tis the season for waking up with a to do list running through my brain. But each day I try again. And again. And again.

To change the meaning of making a Note to Self...consider that goal number one for 2019.

Until next time, make a note to yourself that has nothing to do with your seemingly never-ending to do list. And then follow through on it.



P.S. Here's a link to Ben Rector's song, in case you want to hear it yourself: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kdjmie7KPrU




Comments

  1. Love yourself first, as much as someone else in the entire world, Respect your love and perfection. love yourself first

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts

Crunchy Ramen Noodle Salad…I am so in love!

Here's a great little summer dish. A perfect side for whatever you've thrown on the grill. A great dish to pass for that neighborhood BBQ. A lovely salad to just make up and leave in the fridge for easy lunches on a hot day. It's Ramen Noodle Salad. Now, I'm not sure this dish actually qualifies as clean eating, despite the word "salad" in it's name…what with the ramen noodles and the seasoning packet. But it is so seriously good that I could have eaten the ENTIRE giant bowl of it. Seriously. When I made it last week I could not stop eating it. It might actually be a little addictive. So, don't say I didn't warn you... Crunchy Ramen Noodle Salad 2 pkg uncooked ramen noodles 2.5 oz sliced almonds (or just a big handful) 3/4 c. sunflower seeds 1/2 c. finely chopped onion (whatever kind you have) 1 bag broccoli slaw 2 ramen noodle seasoning packets 3/4 c. oil (use what you like; I used canola oil) 1/2 c. white vinegar 1/3 c. sugar

OMG Honey Mustard Pretzel-Crusted Chicken...So Good!

I made this chicken last weekend when we had family in visiting...this drives my husband nuts when I try out new recipes when we have guests...just because one little time dinner turned out awful! (Seriously, it was barely edible. Oops!) I say, this is the occasional price we pay for wonderful food exploration! And this Honey Mustard Pretzel-Crusted Chicken is a fantastic example of just that! It. Was. Delish.  So here you have it...tasty AND company-worthy! (My 4 year old loved it too...I mean, who doesn't love pretzels and honey mustard!) Honey Mustard Pretzel-Crusted Chicken   (from cinnamonspiceandeverythingnice.com) 4 c. hard sourdough pretzels, coarsely crushed 1/2 c. olive oil 1/2 c. Dijon mustard 1/3 c. honey 1/4 c. water 3 tbsp red wine vinegar (or other mild vinegar...I used white wine because it's what I had on hand) coarse salt and black pepper 1 1/2 lb boneless, skinless chicken breasts Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Set wire rack (like oven-safe coo

30 Days to a New Me: Danette May's 30 Day New You Challenge Review

 A little more than 30 days ago I was in despair. If you read my last post, you already know that I found myself in a post holiday/start of a new year funk. And I knew that a big part of that funk had to do with how I was (or in this case, wasn't) taking care of myself. I had let the holiday season take over my life and my better judgment. I had given up good eating and exercise habits. I had stopped writing. I hadn't had a moment to myself. It was not good. But one part of where I was mentally, emotionally and physically wasn't just holiday backlash. It was part of a bigger problem. Since we moved to our current home over three years ago, I had gained weight. A lot of weight, for me. (As of January 1, I weighed the most I had ever weighed outside of pregnancy.) I had tried many, many times to lose that weight, as I was gaining it, over the last few years. I used the same methods I had always successfully used to lose/maintain weight or increase fitness--stepping