Skip to main content

What I've Been Listening To: Audio Non-Fiction that's Totally Worth Your Time

I've been obsessively listening to audiobooks lately. I have multiple books running on my phone through Audible, plus library books running through Hoopla, AND the kids and I are listening to (and loving) The Emerald Atlas by John Stephens audiobook in the car. Not only am I listening to new books, but I'm also relistening to one of my favorite "pump me up" books, You Are A Badass by Jen Sincero, pretty much any few moments I get. I actually just paused an audiobook so that I could write this blog post.

I'm still reading hardcopy, hold-in-my-hand books too, never fear (currently: The Interestings by Meg Wolitzer; just finished: Obsidio (The Iluminae Files book 3...see earlier blog post on that trilogy) and Crazy Rich Asians (which I did not love)). BUT, it's audiobooks that hold my passion and attention right now. I'm not entirely sure why...the ease? the fact that I can listen while I drive or fold laundry or walk the dog? am I just "into" nonfiction right now? IDK. Regardless of the reason, I'm listening voraciously and I've got some recommendations for you. So let's dig in.

Lab Girl by Hope Jahren: I just finished this one yesterday and I really loved it. It's this fascinating mix between memoir and geobiology class--which doesn't necessarily sound awesome, but it is. Hope Jahren is a geochemist and geobiologist, a research scientist and university professor. Her book tells the story of her life and her life as a scientist and how those two things intermingle. It is emotional and beautifully written. She reads the audio herself with a dry monotone that fits her writing personality (but that can be, at times, a little sleep-inducing...so I had to take breaks; I typically listen in 30 minute intervals anyway, though). Though I loved her story, my favorite "character", by far, was her research partner, Bill-- and their sibling-esque relationship. (He has THE BEST lines! I want to meet him in person after reading this book--and Jahren delivers his dry wit perfectly!) I learned stuff about nature and people. And I think I look at both a bit differently now.

Hunger: A Memoir of My Body by Roxane Gay: For me, this was an eye-opening, and surprisingly relatable book; and an important read. This is Roxane's memoir of being an obese person in a society that openly mocks obese people. She tells her story of being a slim young girl and the things that happened in her life that lead to her obesity. She shares all the feelings and thoughts that come with navigating our world when your fat. And it's heart-wrenching, at times. And it's massively eye-opening. And, as someone who's never been more than 10-15 lbs overweight, it was shocking to me how much I related to her. How similar I felt. And then, how shameful I felt for thoughts I've had about obese people in the past. Roxane Gay reads the audio and there is something so powerful about hearing her words from her own mouth. If you've ever looked at someone and judged them without knowing a thing about them, other than the surface you can see, you should read this book.

The Blue Zones of Happiness by Dan Buettner: This book made me think about the way my environment, and how I choose to react to it, impacts my happiness. It made me look at and reevaluate the effort I make (or don't make); the thoughts and perspectives I cling to; and where and how I choose to live; and how that all effects my happiness. And it inspired me to try something different and make some changes. It can be a bit dry in parts, but I learned a lot and got some great perspective. It's an excellent book to have playing in the background while you do other things.



The Art of Possibility by Rosamund and Benjamin Zander: This is another "make you think differently" kind of book. It's pretty short and sweet. And it's chocked full of great new ways to look at the challenges in your life. Pretty inspiring.








Loving What Is by Byron Katie: If you really want to blow your mind and challenge the way you think about EVERYTHING, then this is the book for you. I listened to it after someone else I admire recommended it. At first, I thought I'd made a big mistake in buying this one. But I listened on and ended up fascinated by Katie's perspective. The book could have been shortened as there's some unnecessary repetition, but the lessons in this book are amazing and potentially life-altering, if you choose to implement them. Pretty fascinating.




Up next: Educated: A Memoir by Tara Westover (for book club), Blink: The Power of Thinking Without Thinking by Malcolm Gladwell, and The Confidence Code for Girls by Clair Shipman and Katty Kay.

Have any audiobooks you'd highly recommend? Let me me know in the comments!

Until next time, happy reading (listening)!

Namaste.


Comments

Popular Posts

Crunchy Ramen Noodle Salad…I am so in love!

Here's a great little summer dish. A perfect side for whatever you've thrown on the grill. A great dish to pass for that neighborhood BBQ. A lovely salad to just make up and leave in the fridge for easy lunches on a hot day. It's Ramen Noodle Salad. Now, I'm not sure this dish actually qualifies as clean eating, despite the word "salad" in it's name…what with the ramen noodles and the seasoning packet. But it is so seriously good that I could have eaten the ENTIRE giant bowl of it. Seriously. When I made it last week I could not stop eating it. It might actually be a little addictive. So, don't say I didn't warn you... Crunchy Ramen Noodle Salad 2 pkg uncooked ramen noodles 2.5 oz sliced almonds (or just a big handful) 3/4 c. sunflower seeds 1/2 c. finely chopped onion (whatever kind you have) 1 bag broccoli slaw 2 ramen noodle seasoning packets 3/4 c. oil (use what you like; I used canola oil) 1/2 c. white vinegar 1/3 c. sugar

OMG Honey Mustard Pretzel-Crusted Chicken...So Good!

I made this chicken last weekend when we had family in visiting...this drives my husband nuts when I try out new recipes when we have guests...just because one little time dinner turned out awful! (Seriously, it was barely edible. Oops!) I say, this is the occasional price we pay for wonderful food exploration! And this Honey Mustard Pretzel-Crusted Chicken is a fantastic example of just that! It. Was. Delish.  So here you have it...tasty AND company-worthy! (My 4 year old loved it too...I mean, who doesn't love pretzels and honey mustard!) Honey Mustard Pretzel-Crusted Chicken   (from cinnamonspiceandeverythingnice.com) 4 c. hard sourdough pretzels, coarsely crushed 1/2 c. olive oil 1/2 c. Dijon mustard 1/3 c. honey 1/4 c. water 3 tbsp red wine vinegar (or other mild vinegar...I used white wine because it's what I had on hand) coarse salt and black pepper 1 1/2 lb boneless, skinless chicken breasts Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Set wire rack (like oven-safe coo

30 Days to a New Me: Danette May's 30 Day New You Challenge Review

 A little more than 30 days ago I was in despair. If you read my last post, you already know that I found myself in a post holiday/start of a new year funk. And I knew that a big part of that funk had to do with how I was (or in this case, wasn't) taking care of myself. I had let the holiday season take over my life and my better judgment. I had given up good eating and exercise habits. I had stopped writing. I hadn't had a moment to myself. It was not good. But one part of where I was mentally, emotionally and physically wasn't just holiday backlash. It was part of a bigger problem. Since we moved to our current home over three years ago, I had gained weight. A lot of weight, for me. (As of January 1, I weighed the most I had ever weighed outside of pregnancy.) I had tried many, many times to lose that weight, as I was gaining it, over the last few years. I used the same methods I had always successfully used to lose/maintain weight or increase fitness--stepping