Skip to main content

Vegetarian White Chili--Make it good and fill it with love.


I want to simply share a yummy fall recipe with you today, but I'm not sure I can just do that.


I am going to share a recipe, which I highly recommend. I've actually had a great week of new recipes. This Vegetarian White Chili plus a delicious Vegetarian No-Beef Stew and a hearty Pasta with Ground Beef and a Thai-Peanut Chickpea Slaw and a Chicken and Broccoli Stir Fry. BUT, I'm feeling so raw and emotional lately, that I feel the need to do a little emoting here, too.


Is it wrong to mix food and emotions? If so, I ain't right lately. Because Lord knows I've been stress eating like a boss this last week and I'm having trouble shifting gears back to healthy-girl. So, bear with me...


The political and emotional climate in our country right now is so upsetting to me. I'm feeling a bit like a kid in tiny boat out in stormy waters. Genuinely, this all makes me feel very kid-like...naive and like my hopes for the world I want to live in are being dashed. This feels like a tragedy so I'm trying to follow the wisdom of Fred Rogers and look for the Helpers. I'm searching out stories of good and love and peace and, after a high-anxiety-filled week, I'm pulling out of the stream of hate that's oozing out of all the media and social media outlets.

I feel like, in my lifetime, I've never experienced such a divided America as what I've seen these last two years. Maybe it's been like this and I didn't notice it, but I don't think so. Because before the internet and social media and the 24-hour news cycle, I don't think it was possible. I long for us to use these tools for good, rather than evil, but right now so many are using them to spew hatred and divisiveness. What happened to empathy and tolerance and love thy neighbor and we're more alike than we are different? When did fury and hatred and rudeness become the norm? Why are people so self-righteous and entitled?
When did we stop caring about the tragedies of our fellow men and women? When did others' pain stop impacting us? When did it no longer make us want to help them? When did money and power become more important than humanity? When did being right and getting what we want become a "by any means necessary" kind of thing? What happened to working together? To compromise?


Like a child, I just don't understand. It hurts my heart. It makes my stomach clench and incites my anxiety. It makes me so sad.


But I'm pulling myself out of that and focusing on being the light. Maybe not for THE world, but for MY world. A smile for each person I pass at the store. A kind word for the stranger at Panera. Mom-understanding for the woman next to me at the dance studio. Hugs for my kids. Kisses for my husband. Anything I can think of...spread love and joy, send the energy of peace out into the world.


I don't know if this has any real impact on anyone or anything else, but it has an impact on me.


And I will cook delicious food for my family, bake bread and cookies, and share them.


Love and peace through food? Maybe...


Love Your Neighbor Vegetarian White Chili

1 tbsp olive oil
1 c. chopped bell pepper
1 c. chopped onion
2 tsp minced garlic
1/2 - 1 diced jalapeño pepper (how much depends on the size of the pepper and how hot you like it)
4-5 c. vegetable broth
2 c. diced potatoes
8 oz. cream cheese
1/4 tsp ground cloves
1 tbsp chili powder
1 1/2 tbsp cumin
2 tsp garlic powder
1 tbsp maple syrup
1/4 tsp black pepper
1 tsp sea salt
2, 15 oz. cans of white beans, drained and rinsed (I like great northern beans)
1 c. frozen corn

Heat oil in soup pot over medium heat. Add chopped onion, bell pepper, garlic, and jalapeño and cook for about 5 minutes. Add broth, potatoes, cream cheese, and all seasonings. Bring to a boil and let cook for about 10 minutes, until cream cheese has melted smooth and potatoes are cooked through. Add beans and corn and let cook for another 5 minutes. Taste and adjust seasoning accordingly. Serve topped with shredded cheddar and warm bread or soft tortillas. (You could also add some chopped avocado.)

Until next time, happy cooking...and show thy neighbor some love...possibly with food.

Make it good and fill it with love. :-)

Namaste.


Comments

Popular Posts

Crunchy Ramen Noodle Salad…I am so in love!

Here's a great little summer dish. A perfect side for whatever you've thrown on the grill. A great dish to pass for that neighborhood BBQ. A lovely salad to just make up and leave in the fridge for easy lunches on a hot day. It's Ramen Noodle Salad. Now, I'm not sure this dish actually qualifies as clean eating, despite the word "salad" in it's name…what with the ramen noodles and the seasoning packet. But it is so seriously good that I could have eaten the ENTIRE giant bowl of it. Seriously. When I made it last week I could not stop eating it. It might actually be a little addictive. So, don't say I didn't warn you... Crunchy Ramen Noodle Salad 2 pkg uncooked ramen noodles 2.5 oz sliced almonds (or just a big handful) 3/4 c. sunflower seeds 1/2 c. finely chopped onion (whatever kind you have) 1 bag broccoli slaw 2 ramen noodle seasoning packets 3/4 c. oil (use what you like; I used canola oil) 1/2 c. white vinegar 1/3 c. sugar

OMG Honey Mustard Pretzel-Crusted Chicken...So Good!

I made this chicken last weekend when we had family in visiting...this drives my husband nuts when I try out new recipes when we have guests...just because one little time dinner turned out awful! (Seriously, it was barely edible. Oops!) I say, this is the occasional price we pay for wonderful food exploration! And this Honey Mustard Pretzel-Crusted Chicken is a fantastic example of just that! It. Was. Delish.  So here you have it...tasty AND company-worthy! (My 4 year old loved it too...I mean, who doesn't love pretzels and honey mustard!) Honey Mustard Pretzel-Crusted Chicken   (from cinnamonspiceandeverythingnice.com) 4 c. hard sourdough pretzels, coarsely crushed 1/2 c. olive oil 1/2 c. Dijon mustard 1/3 c. honey 1/4 c. water 3 tbsp red wine vinegar (or other mild vinegar...I used white wine because it's what I had on hand) coarse salt and black pepper 1 1/2 lb boneless, skinless chicken breasts Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Set wire rack (like oven-safe coo

30 Days to a New Me: Danette May's 30 Day New You Challenge Review

 A little more than 30 days ago I was in despair. If you read my last post, you already know that I found myself in a post holiday/start of a new year funk. And I knew that a big part of that funk had to do with how I was (or in this case, wasn't) taking care of myself. I had let the holiday season take over my life and my better judgment. I had given up good eating and exercise habits. I had stopped writing. I hadn't had a moment to myself. It was not good. But one part of where I was mentally, emotionally and physically wasn't just holiday backlash. It was part of a bigger problem. Since we moved to our current home over three years ago, I had gained weight. A lot of weight, for me. (As of January 1, I weighed the most I had ever weighed outside of pregnancy.) I had tried many, many times to lose that weight, as I was gaining it, over the last few years. I used the same methods I had always successfully used to lose/maintain weight or increase fitness--stepping