Skip to main content

6500 Hours of Writing...Someday


Last night I was on the floor of my daughter's room stretching while she read to us from the biography Who are Venus and Serena Williams?. (It's part of the "Who Was/Is" series, which we are pretty much addicted to.) We're a good third of the way into the book and she's reading to me about Venus and Serena's early teen years, right before they joined the WTA and went pro.

I stopped her mid-chapter to emphasize what she'd just read...that the Williams' sisters would practice 6 hours a day, during that time, in addition to school work and regular life stuff. Isn't that amazing, I said to her. They clearly had talent, but to become the best, that's how hard they had to work. To win tournaments, to become great, to make it their job, they had to practice 6 hours a day. That's a lot of work, I said, marveling over the fact that they hit more than 100 serves everyday. Can you imagine how tired their arms must have gotten? I asked.

My daughter nodded and went on reading, and I bent over my extended left leg to stretch my sad, tight, little hamstrings...and then promptly had an epiphany, while looking at my knee.

The Williams' sisters stopped competing for 3 years when they were pre/early teens and did nothing but practice. 6 hours a day for 3 years. That's more than 6500 hours of practice...and that doesn't count all the hours they did before and after that period.

6500 hours to become two of the greatest tennis players in the world.

So how does that tie to me?

You may remember that I finished writing and revising a book last month and finally sent out queries to some agents a couple of weeks ago. I've heard back from a few...no interest. I know that all it takes is one agent or editor who likes what they see, and that I've only heard back from a few; but still, it's no fun to get the rejection letters. And I had gotten the most recent one earlier that day. I skimmed it and quickly filed it away, but it was, apparently, still sitting in the back of my mind. Reminding me that I'm not good enough. Whispering of failure.

I've worked harder than ever before on my writing these last two years...but I have not put in 6500 hours. And if 6500 hours of work is what it takes to turn a little talent into great work, then I guess I have a ways to go. So maybe it's not such a big deal if this hasn't happened yet...if it doesn't happen right now. Maybe there's no need to get down on myself. Maybe I just need to keep putting in the hours. If I really want it, I have to go after it. I have to get to the courts early and stay until the lights come on. I have to toss that ball in the air 100 times a day; I have to hit a million forehands and backhands; I have to work with coaches; I have to cross-train.

I have to be like Venus and Serena.

And I also have to remember that I do this because I love it. Because writing stories lights me up. Because when I get it right I feel warm and fuzzy all over.

Lee Harper's books/art
Last week I went to author-illustrator Lee Harper's barn studio for a tour and to hear him speak about his work. It was a really cool experience. I love learning about any artist's process and I love hearing about their roads to publication. Does it sound bad to say that it's heartening to hear other peoples' stories of failure and rejection?

I also read amazing soccer player Abby Wambach's graduation speech* last week. In it she talks about using failure as your fuel. She said, "Failure is not something to be ashamed of, it's something to be powered by. Failure is the highest octane fuel your life can run on. You gotta learn to make failure your fuel."

Here's the thing, I think the universe works to get you the message you need when you need it. Those are three separate messengers all sending me a similar message within days of one another...and right when I needed the reminder.

When you don't succeed at your goal, it's not a sign to give up. It's a sign to work harder.

Until next time, I'll be working on getting my 6500 hours of writing in. So, um, see you in a few more years!




*link to Abby Wambach's speech: https://barnard.edu/commencement/archives/2018/abby-wambach-remarks It's worth the read.



Comments

Popular Posts

Crunchy Ramen Noodle Salad…I am so in love!

Here's a great little summer dish. A perfect side for whatever you've thrown on the grill. A great dish to pass for that neighborhood BBQ. A lovely salad to just make up and leave in the fridge for easy lunches on a hot day. It's Ramen Noodle Salad. Now, I'm not sure this dish actually qualifies as clean eating, despite the word "salad" in it's name…what with the ramen noodles and the seasoning packet. But it is so seriously good that I could have eaten the ENTIRE giant bowl of it. Seriously. When I made it last week I could not stop eating it. It might actually be a little addictive. So, don't say I didn't warn you... Crunchy Ramen Noodle Salad 2 pkg uncooked ramen noodles 2.5 oz sliced almonds (or just a big handful) 3/4 c. sunflower seeds 1/2 c. finely chopped onion (whatever kind you have) 1 bag broccoli slaw 2 ramen noodle seasoning packets 3/4 c. oil (use what you like; I used canola oil) 1/2 c. white vinegar 1/3 c. sugar

OMG Honey Mustard Pretzel-Crusted Chicken...So Good!

I made this chicken last weekend when we had family in visiting...this drives my husband nuts when I try out new recipes when we have guests...just because one little time dinner turned out awful! (Seriously, it was barely edible. Oops!) I say, this is the occasional price we pay for wonderful food exploration! And this Honey Mustard Pretzel-Crusted Chicken is a fantastic example of just that! It. Was. Delish.  So here you have it...tasty AND company-worthy! (My 4 year old loved it too...I mean, who doesn't love pretzels and honey mustard!) Honey Mustard Pretzel-Crusted Chicken   (from cinnamonspiceandeverythingnice.com) 4 c. hard sourdough pretzels, coarsely crushed 1/2 c. olive oil 1/2 c. Dijon mustard 1/3 c. honey 1/4 c. water 3 tbsp red wine vinegar (or other mild vinegar...I used white wine because it's what I had on hand) coarse salt and black pepper 1 1/2 lb boneless, skinless chicken breasts Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Set wire rack (like oven-safe coo

30 Days to a New Me: Danette May's 30 Day New You Challenge Review

 A little more than 30 days ago I was in despair. If you read my last post, you already know that I found myself in a post holiday/start of a new year funk. And I knew that a big part of that funk had to do with how I was (or in this case, wasn't) taking care of myself. I had let the holiday season take over my life and my better judgment. I had given up good eating and exercise habits. I had stopped writing. I hadn't had a moment to myself. It was not good. But one part of where I was mentally, emotionally and physically wasn't just holiday backlash. It was part of a bigger problem. Since we moved to our current home over three years ago, I had gained weight. A lot of weight, for me. (As of January 1, I weighed the most I had ever weighed outside of pregnancy.) I had tried many, many times to lose that weight, as I was gaining it, over the last few years. I used the same methods I had always successfully used to lose/maintain weight or increase fitness--stepping