Skip to main content

NaNoWriMo 2017 Begins Today!


NaNoWriMo 2017 IS HERE!!!

If you know me, or have followed this blog over the last few years, then you likely know that National Novel Writing Month, or, Nanowrimo, is one of my most favorite things.

For those of you who don't know, Nano is a virtual community of something like 500,000 people that commits to writing an entire novel, or at least 50,000 words of one, in the 30 days of November. You can learn more about it at nanowrimo.org.

This will be my fifth year participating in Nano-- which kind of shocks me! Four years ago today I began my first attempt at writing a novel. I only finished 20,000 words that year, but that experience helped me develop a regular writing practice; it inspired me to find a writer's group; and it was the beginning of (finally) following my dream of being a writer. (That's a pretty big deal.) In all three years since my first try, I have made it to the 50,000 word finish line. And since that first day, I have written four novels.

Over the next 30 days, I plan to make that five.

I am so excited to begin. I've spent the last eleven months working on revisions to previous Nano novels-- and there's still A LOT more work to do on them. For me, unlike many other novelists that I have read about, revising can feel a bit like slogging through swamplands, and at times it can get overwhelming. So, getting to create a story--an entire world-- from scratch again sounds so refreshing right now.

For me, Nano brings passion and community and challenge and this strange sense of chaotic peace that is so hard to describe. During Nano, lots of other things in my life may seem stressful, but the writing rarely does. During Nano, lots of other things in my life fall by the wayside in this beautiful, life affirming way...maybe not for the other people in my life who are expecting me to continue to fulfill my list of duties like a good mom/wife/homeowner/friend/citizen....but for me it is this brief snapshot of how I probably should be living life every day. It forces priorities that are probably closer to the truth. My truth, at least.

And Nano is hopeful.

Who knows if I'll ever get one of these books published? I can't say for certain. But during the month of November, I am hopeful. I am hopeful and I am a writer. A real one.

I savor that. It's a good feeling.

One last thing before I go. This Nano is extra special for me because two people are joining me in it for the first time. My wonderful writer-niece, Katie, and my super-awesome daughter, Portia. Katie's a junior in college, so she, like me, is going after the big prize of 50,000 words (mind you, she's already written multiple novels). Portia, who's 8, signed up for Nano's Young Writer's Program and is planning to write a book of short stories this month. This warms my little writer's heart.

So, cheer us on, good friends! Send us good vibes and good mojo and lots of coffee (hot chocolate for Portia...extra marshmallows)!

And if you're also a writer, consider hopping onto Nano, too-- or at least set a goal for yourself and do some writing. If you're not a writer, support our endeavors by reading a good book or doing some journaling...or just making some progress in the pursuit of your own amazing dreams.

Until next time, write on, my friends...write on!


(I'm off to pursue a word count goal!)



Comments

Post a Comment

Popular Posts

Crunchy Ramen Noodle Salad…I am so in love!

Here's a great little summer dish. A perfect side for whatever you've thrown on the grill. A great dish to pass for that neighborhood BBQ. A lovely salad to just make up and leave in the fridge for easy lunches on a hot day. It's Ramen Noodle Salad. Now, I'm not sure this dish actually qualifies as clean eating, despite the word "salad" in it's name…what with the ramen noodles and the seasoning packet. But it is so seriously good that I could have eaten the ENTIRE giant bowl of it. Seriously. When I made it last week I could not stop eating it. It might actually be a little addictive. So, don't say I didn't warn you... Crunchy Ramen Noodle Salad 2 pkg uncooked ramen noodles 2.5 oz sliced almonds (or just a big handful) 3/4 c. sunflower seeds 1/2 c. finely chopped onion (whatever kind you have) 1 bag broccoli slaw 2 ramen noodle seasoning packets 3/4 c. oil (use what you like; I used canola oil) 1/2 c. white vinegar 1/3 c. sugar

OMG Honey Mustard Pretzel-Crusted Chicken...So Good!

I made this chicken last weekend when we had family in visiting...this drives my husband nuts when I try out new recipes when we have guests...just because one little time dinner turned out awful! (Seriously, it was barely edible. Oops!) I say, this is the occasional price we pay for wonderful food exploration! And this Honey Mustard Pretzel-Crusted Chicken is a fantastic example of just that! It. Was. Delish.  So here you have it...tasty AND company-worthy! (My 4 year old loved it too...I mean, who doesn't love pretzels and honey mustard!) Honey Mustard Pretzel-Crusted Chicken   (from cinnamonspiceandeverythingnice.com) 4 c. hard sourdough pretzels, coarsely crushed 1/2 c. olive oil 1/2 c. Dijon mustard 1/3 c. honey 1/4 c. water 3 tbsp red wine vinegar (or other mild vinegar...I used white wine because it's what I had on hand) coarse salt and black pepper 1 1/2 lb boneless, skinless chicken breasts Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Set wire rack (like oven-safe coo

30 Days to a New Me: Danette May's 30 Day New You Challenge Review

 A little more than 30 days ago I was in despair. If you read my last post, you already know that I found myself in a post holiday/start of a new year funk. And I knew that a big part of that funk had to do with how I was (or in this case, wasn't) taking care of myself. I had let the holiday season take over my life and my better judgment. I had given up good eating and exercise habits. I had stopped writing. I hadn't had a moment to myself. It was not good. But one part of where I was mentally, emotionally and physically wasn't just holiday backlash. It was part of a bigger problem. Since we moved to our current home over three years ago, I had gained weight. A lot of weight, for me. (As of January 1, I weighed the most I had ever weighed outside of pregnancy.) I had tried many, many times to lose that weight, as I was gaining it, over the last few years. I used the same methods I had always successfully used to lose/maintain weight or increase fitness--stepping