Skip to main content

My Favorite Smoothie Recipes


Since I started clean eating in January, smoothies have become a staple in my weekly meals. Mostly for breakfast, but sometimes I pull them out for lunches and dinners too. They're relatively easy, fast, and super portable. And, if you do them right, they can be just about the healthiest option there is for breakfast. How else am I going to get veggies into my weekday breakfast? (And please don't suggest I make an omelet. That's so not happening on a Wednesday morning.)

I've tried A LOT of smoothie recipes over the past ten months, but overtime I've found that I've settled on a few that I make over and over again. So, I thought I'd share them with you.

Note: For all of these recipes, combine all ingredients in a blender and blend for 1 minute, or until smooth.

Oatmeal Cookie Smoothie (my most recent obsession...totally tastes like an oatmeal cookie!)
1 tbsp raw cacao
1 tbsp raw honey
2 tbsp ground flaxseed
1/3 c. raw oats
1/4 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp chia seeds
3/4 tsp pure vanilla extract
1 banana
1/4 c. spinach (I just throw a good handful in)
1 1/2 c. unsweetened almond milk
handful ice

Energy Boosting Smoothie (I had this one this morning...mmmmm)
1 tbsp raw cacao
1 tbsp organic peanut butter
1 banana
1/2 c. plain greek yogurt (or kefir...or coconut milk yogurt for dairy-free folks like me)
1/4 c. spinach (handful)
1/4 c. unsweetened almond milk
1/4 tsp cinnamon
a pinch of cayenne pepper
handful ice

Berry Milkshake Smoothie
1/2 c. unsweetened almond milk
1/2 c. water
1/2 c. plain greek yogurt (or kefir or coconut milk yogurt)
1/4 c. blueberries (I use frozen, organic)
1/2 banana
 1/4 c. spinach (handful)
handful ice

Chocolate Delight Smoothie
1/4 c. spinach (handful)
1 tbsp raw cacao
1/2 avocado
1/2 banana
1/2 c. plain greek yogurt (or kefir or coconut milk yogurt)
1/2 c. water
1/4 c. raw oats
handful ice

You'll notice that all of these smoothie recipes have a few things in common: they all have fruit; they all have veggies; and they all have protein. All of these leave me feeling full. I do find the addition of oats in two of them does keep me full longer. If I want something lighter and more refreshing, I go for the Berry Milkshake, but I often will have a small snack (like a larabar: I like their strawberry and spinach fruit and greens bar and their chocolate chip cookie dough bar) later in the morning if I do. I sometimes can't even finish the oatmeal cookie smoothie because it's so filling. The Chocolate Delight smoothie is not sweet. If you feel like you really need more sweetness, you can add some raw honey or 100% maple syrup.

The biggest thing to note here is that I think all of these taste delicious. I'm not really one for sucking down something that tastes terrible just because it's healthy. That's why none of these have protein powder in them-- I'm just not a fan of the flavor protein powders add. If you like them, you can use a scoop of your favorite protein powder in place of the yogurt in any of these. Just make sure the ingredient statement is good-- no added sugars, additives, chemicals, etc.

A few other notes on ingredients:
- I use organic ingredients anywhere I can. (It's better for you and for the environment!)
- Raw cacao is not the same as cocoa. You can find it in the organic/natural section of your grocery store. I order mine from Amazon (It's this one: https://www.amazon.com/Viva-Naturals-Organic-Non-GMO-Powder) I also order my chia seeds there (these: https://www.amazon.com/Viva-Naturals-Finest-Organic-Seeds).
- I'm a big fan of Bob's Red Mill Brand. I use their gluten free raw oats and ground flaxseed (amongst other things).

All of these smoothie recipes are adaptations of Danette May recipes. If you have a favorite smoothie recipe, please share it in the comments-- I'm always looking for new ones to add to the mix. And let me know what you think if you give one of these recipes a try.

Until next time, happy smoothie-ing my dear friends!



Comments

  1. I very much appreciate your sharing these recipes. I came across your blog while researching Danette May’s 30 Day program. I am curious to know how you feel about the program a year after having done it as I am considering it. The reviews are VERY mixed. I would appreciate any thoughts you may have. (Since stumbling onto your blog, I have read several of your entries and find them very enjoyable. What a talent you have!) :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Julie! Thank you! I was in your shoes a year ago and just took the leap and did it, and I can't tell you how happy I am that I did. One year later, I'm gearing up to do the 30 day challenge again beginning on Monday as a reset after the holidays. I joined Danette's Forever Fit (now Fit Rise) program after I finished the 30 day challenge and have stuck with it ever since. I let the holidays throw me off track, but I did it with awareness, knowing I'd get right back at things in January. I've loved the program and the results; it was definitely the right choice for me. I lost 20 lbs over the first 5 months or so, reaching my goal weight, and then stuck with the lifestyle for maintenance-- and because I love it. I like that the workouts are always varied, are only 20 mins, and I can do them at home. The meditations are huge for me. And, once you get the hang of it, the eating plan becomes second nature. It's the only plan that has worked for me since crossing into my 40s and gaining weight. Hope that helps. If you have any specific questions, let me know. And good luck on your journey, whatever path you choose!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts

Crunchy Ramen Noodle Salad…I am so in love!

Here's a great little summer dish. A perfect side for whatever you've thrown on the grill. A great dish to pass for that neighborhood BBQ. A lovely salad to just make up and leave in the fridge for easy lunches on a hot day. It's Ramen Noodle Salad. Now, I'm not sure this dish actually qualifies as clean eating, despite the word "salad" in it's name…what with the ramen noodles and the seasoning packet. But it is so seriously good that I could have eaten the ENTIRE giant bowl of it. Seriously. When I made it last week I could not stop eating it. It might actually be a little addictive. So, don't say I didn't warn you... Crunchy Ramen Noodle Salad 2 pkg uncooked ramen noodles 2.5 oz sliced almonds (or just a big handful) 3/4 c. sunflower seeds 1/2 c. finely chopped onion (whatever kind you have) 1 bag broccoli slaw 2 ramen noodle seasoning packets 3/4 c. oil (use what you like; I used canola oil) 1/2 c. white vinegar 1/3 c. sugar

OMG Honey Mustard Pretzel-Crusted Chicken...So Good!

I made this chicken last weekend when we had family in visiting...this drives my husband nuts when I try out new recipes when we have guests...just because one little time dinner turned out awful! (Seriously, it was barely edible. Oops!) I say, this is the occasional price we pay for wonderful food exploration! And this Honey Mustard Pretzel-Crusted Chicken is a fantastic example of just that! It. Was. Delish.  So here you have it...tasty AND company-worthy! (My 4 year old loved it too...I mean, who doesn't love pretzels and honey mustard!) Honey Mustard Pretzel-Crusted Chicken   (from cinnamonspiceandeverythingnice.com) 4 c. hard sourdough pretzels, coarsely crushed 1/2 c. olive oil 1/2 c. Dijon mustard 1/3 c. honey 1/4 c. water 3 tbsp red wine vinegar (or other mild vinegar...I used white wine because it's what I had on hand) coarse salt and black pepper 1 1/2 lb boneless, skinless chicken breasts Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Set wire rack (like oven-safe coo

30 Days to a New Me: Danette May's 30 Day New You Challenge Review

 A little more than 30 days ago I was in despair. If you read my last post, you already know that I found myself in a post holiday/start of a new year funk. And I knew that a big part of that funk had to do with how I was (or in this case, wasn't) taking care of myself. I had let the holiday season take over my life and my better judgment. I had given up good eating and exercise habits. I had stopped writing. I hadn't had a moment to myself. It was not good. But one part of where I was mentally, emotionally and physically wasn't just holiday backlash. It was part of a bigger problem. Since we moved to our current home over three years ago, I had gained weight. A lot of weight, for me. (As of January 1, I weighed the most I had ever weighed outside of pregnancy.) I had tried many, many times to lose that weight, as I was gaining it, over the last few years. I used the same methods I had always successfully used to lose/maintain weight or increase fitness--stepping