Skip to main content

Book Love: A Man Called Ove

Hey friends! It's been a while. I've been knee-deep in life and have been remiss in taking you along for the ride. I hope to do better on that in the coming months. In the meantime, I hope you all are doing well and enjoying your summer. I also hope you've been reading! I know I have been. And that's why I'm here today...to share the best of what's been on my bedside table of late. This is the first in a series of "Book Love" posts so you can make the most of summer reading time before it runs out. Let's jump right in...

Up first is the best audiobook I've listened to in ages. I am IN LOVE with this book, people.

IN. LOVE.

It's Fredrik Backman's A Man Called Ove.

Now, I have no idea how much my love for this book is influenced by the fact that I listened to it rather than read it. I would guess at least a little bit, because George Newbern did an amazing job with the narration. He made me feel like I was actually one of Ove's neighbors...plus he taught me the correct way to pronounce the Swedish name Ove (It's Oo-va).

But on to the book...

This is some seriously great writing. Hats off to Fredrik Backman. If you've read my book reviews before, then you know that I'm a sucker for great characters, and Backman creates one of my favorites in Ove. His character development and writing voice are amazing. So amazing, in fact, that I have plans to read everything else he's written (at least what's been translated into English). Plus he can turn a phrase like a boss-- some of the best metaphors I've ever read.

If you've read my other reviews you also know that I don't like to talk much about "what the book is about"...I'd rather you discover that once you open the book (or press play on the audio). What I do want to convey is how the book made me feel. And this book made me feel like I'd found a new group of friends in its characters. It made me appreciate a different kind of person. It made me feel like I just might understand my grandfather a little more than I did before. It reminded me that there are a lot of ways to show love and live a good life-- that it's a good thing that "it takes all kinds" in our world. And it kind of made me want to adopt a stray cat (don't tell my husband).

I write this blog post just days after finishing A Man Called Ove, and I miss the characters terribly. I believe this is one of the highest praises I can give a book: I was sad when I finished it because I didn't want it to end.

I also cried.

Now I want everyone to make friends with Ove.

Amazing book. Highly recommend.

Until next time, happy reading!


P.S. Thank you to my sister-in-law, Linda, for sending me the A Man Called Ove audiobook!!

P.P.S. This audio book is available on Amazon's Audible. For my local peeps: you can also borrow the audio book from our local libraries!



Comments

  1. Excellent book and excellent movie. The Traverse City Film Festival showed it last year and I was very impressed on how closely it followed the book.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Linda! I haven't seen the movie but will add it to my list. Thanks! We normally come to town right at the end of the film festival each summer, but we won't be able to make the trip this year--I'm so sad not to get my TC/SB time this year. Hope you guys are enjoying beautiful weather up there!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts

Crunchy Ramen Noodle Salad…I am so in love!

Here's a great little summer dish. A perfect side for whatever you've thrown on the grill. A great dish to pass for that neighborhood BBQ. A lovely salad to just make up and leave in the fridge for easy lunches on a hot day. It's Ramen Noodle Salad. Now, I'm not sure this dish actually qualifies as clean eating, despite the word "salad" in it's name…what with the ramen noodles and the seasoning packet. But it is so seriously good that I could have eaten the ENTIRE giant bowl of it. Seriously. When I made it last week I could not stop eating it. It might actually be a little addictive. So, don't say I didn't warn you... Crunchy Ramen Noodle Salad 2 pkg uncooked ramen noodles 2.5 oz sliced almonds (or just a big handful) 3/4 c. sunflower seeds 1/2 c. finely chopped onion (whatever kind you have) 1 bag broccoli slaw 2 ramen noodle seasoning packets 3/4 c. oil (use what you like; I used canola oil) 1/2 c. white vinegar 1/3 c. sugar

OMG Honey Mustard Pretzel-Crusted Chicken...So Good!

I made this chicken last weekend when we had family in visiting...this drives my husband nuts when I try out new recipes when we have guests...just because one little time dinner turned out awful! (Seriously, it was barely edible. Oops!) I say, this is the occasional price we pay for wonderful food exploration! And this Honey Mustard Pretzel-Crusted Chicken is a fantastic example of just that! It. Was. Delish.  So here you have it...tasty AND company-worthy! (My 4 year old loved it too...I mean, who doesn't love pretzels and honey mustard!) Honey Mustard Pretzel-Crusted Chicken   (from cinnamonspiceandeverythingnice.com) 4 c. hard sourdough pretzels, coarsely crushed 1/2 c. olive oil 1/2 c. Dijon mustard 1/3 c. honey 1/4 c. water 3 tbsp red wine vinegar (or other mild vinegar...I used white wine because it's what I had on hand) coarse salt and black pepper 1 1/2 lb boneless, skinless chicken breasts Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Set wire rack (like oven-safe coo

30 Days to a New Me: Danette May's 30 Day New You Challenge Review

 A little more than 30 days ago I was in despair. If you read my last post, you already know that I found myself in a post holiday/start of a new year funk. And I knew that a big part of that funk had to do with how I was (or in this case, wasn't) taking care of myself. I had let the holiday season take over my life and my better judgment. I had given up good eating and exercise habits. I had stopped writing. I hadn't had a moment to myself. It was not good. But one part of where I was mentally, emotionally and physically wasn't just holiday backlash. It was part of a bigger problem. Since we moved to our current home over three years ago, I had gained weight. A lot of weight, for me. (As of January 1, I weighed the most I had ever weighed outside of pregnancy.) I had tried many, many times to lose that weight, as I was gaining it, over the last few years. I used the same methods I had always successfully used to lose/maintain weight or increase fitness--stepping