Skip to main content

The Impact of Daily Intentions

My daily intention: Stay Loose; and some other touchpoints
(in this case, bracelets) to remind me of what's important
I've been working on mindfulness for a while now. It used to be that I spent a lot of my time lost in thoughts of the past or the future. Nowadays I'm more likely to get lost in thoughts of all the things I should be getting done or plotting how I will manage to get them all done (and doing laps in the pool of guilt and shame for not getting more accomplished each day). But I'm trying not to do that.

I'm also trying to focus on what's important rather than what seems urgent. One of the ways I do this is by setting a daily intention--an over-riding idea, theme, objective for my day, each day. I try to do this right when I wake up, but sometimes it's more like 9am before I give it the thought it needs. Sometimes it's a phrase, sometimes it's just one word.

Today's intention is Cherish.

I often write my daily intention on my hand, the way I used to write reminders or phone numbers when I was a kid (before I could just type them into my phone). It wears off by the end of the day, but it makes for an easy reminder all day long of what I want to bring to my day.

Today's intention is born from recent conversations about how fast kids grow up and yet another news article about someone walking into a business with a gun and opening fire on the people inside. (I never thought the day would come when I would sit in my favorite coffee shop and think: someone could walk in here and start shooting people. Yeah, it could have happened ten or fifteen years ago, but I never would have thought of it, because it would have been rare.)

So today's intention is a reminder to Cherish the people who are most important to me. To hug my kids tighter. To say yes when they want to play. To Cherish their little faces and their sweet souls. To Cherish my day and my life. To remember what's really important to me and honor it all the way it should be honored every day.

Sometimes my intention is broader like this: Focus. Love. Be Joyful. Be calm. Say yes. Breathe.

And sometimes it's more specific: Approach everyone with love. Find peace in the chaos. See the beauty everywhere.

It's a small thing to do. But I think it has an impact on my day. Sometimes I'm driving and getting annoyed by the traffic, or worried that I'll be late for something, and then I see the words Be Joyful on my hand and I feel myself physically relax and change my internal dialogue from "Shit, I'm going to be late. Move people!" to "Is it really that big of a deal if I'm a few minutes late? The traffic is out of my control. Just breathe and listen to the music."

If I decide when I wake up in the morning that I'm going to live that day with a specific intention, it actually can make a difference in how my day goes.

It's amazing the power of our thoughts. Good or bad.

Choose good.

Until next time...focus, love, be joyful, be calm, say yes, and breathe.

Namaste.




Comments

Popular Posts

Crunchy Ramen Noodle Salad…I am so in love!

Here's a great little summer dish. A perfect side for whatever you've thrown on the grill. A great dish to pass for that neighborhood BBQ. A lovely salad to just make up and leave in the fridge for easy lunches on a hot day. It's Ramen Noodle Salad. Now, I'm not sure this dish actually qualifies as clean eating, despite the word "salad" in it's name…what with the ramen noodles and the seasoning packet. But it is so seriously good that I could have eaten the ENTIRE giant bowl of it. Seriously. When I made it last week I could not stop eating it. It might actually be a little addictive. So, don't say I didn't warn you... Crunchy Ramen Noodle Salad 2 pkg uncooked ramen noodles 2.5 oz sliced almonds (or just a big handful) 3/4 c. sunflower seeds 1/2 c. finely chopped onion (whatever kind you have) 1 bag broccoli slaw 2 ramen noodle seasoning packets 3/4 c. oil (use what you like; I used canola oil) 1/2 c. white vinegar 1/3 c. sugar

OMG Honey Mustard Pretzel-Crusted Chicken...So Good!

I made this chicken last weekend when we had family in visiting...this drives my husband nuts when I try out new recipes when we have guests...just because one little time dinner turned out awful! (Seriously, it was barely edible. Oops!) I say, this is the occasional price we pay for wonderful food exploration! And this Honey Mustard Pretzel-Crusted Chicken is a fantastic example of just that! It. Was. Delish.  So here you have it...tasty AND company-worthy! (My 4 year old loved it too...I mean, who doesn't love pretzels and honey mustard!) Honey Mustard Pretzel-Crusted Chicken   (from cinnamonspiceandeverythingnice.com) 4 c. hard sourdough pretzels, coarsely crushed 1/2 c. olive oil 1/2 c. Dijon mustard 1/3 c. honey 1/4 c. water 3 tbsp red wine vinegar (or other mild vinegar...I used white wine because it's what I had on hand) coarse salt and black pepper 1 1/2 lb boneless, skinless chicken breasts Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Set wire rack (like oven-safe coo

30 Days to a New Me: Danette May's 30 Day New You Challenge Review

 A little more than 30 days ago I was in despair. If you read my last post, you already know that I found myself in a post holiday/start of a new year funk. And I knew that a big part of that funk had to do with how I was (or in this case, wasn't) taking care of myself. I had let the holiday season take over my life and my better judgment. I had given up good eating and exercise habits. I had stopped writing. I hadn't had a moment to myself. It was not good. But one part of where I was mentally, emotionally and physically wasn't just holiday backlash. It was part of a bigger problem. Since we moved to our current home over three years ago, I had gained weight. A lot of weight, for me. (As of January 1, I weighed the most I had ever weighed outside of pregnancy.) I had tried many, many times to lose that weight, as I was gaining it, over the last few years. I used the same methods I had always successfully used to lose/maintain weight or increase fitness--stepping