Skip to main content

Cowboy Casserole

So here are the reasons I'm sharing this recipe:

1. It's pretty easy.
2. It tastes good.
3. It's great for feeding a group.
4. It reheats well, making it also great for cooking once for a smaller group and then having yummy leftovers for lunches or subsequent nights off from cooking.
5. It has pretty broad palette appeal.
6. You can easily customize it a bit to your tastes (add sautéed mushrooms, top with siracha or sour cream or ketchup, etc.) .

I have made it 3 or 4 times now, and it always goes over well. And I thought that such a long of a list of pluses made it worth sharing. So, thank you to thecuttingedgeofordinary.blogspot.com for sharing it. And here you go:

Cowboy Casserole (photo from thecuttingedgeofordinary.blogspot.com)

Cowboy Casserole (adapted from Taste of Home)
1 to 1.5 lb ground beef (depending on your preference, I used 1 lb)
1 medium onion, chopped
3 gloves garlic, chopped
1 can (15oz) whole kernel corn, drained
1 can condensed cream of mushroom soup
1.5 to 2 c. shredded cheddar cheese (depending on how much you want to top it with)
1/2 c. milk
4 tbsp sour cream
1 bag (30oz) frozen crispy crowns (the flattened tater tots; you could use regular tots too...or even sweet potato tots!), slightly thawed

A quick side note: I use as many organic ingredients as I can when I cook, and this recipe is no exception. I used organic grass-fed beef, organic garlic, corn, cheese, milk, sour cream and even organic cream of mushroom soup! I am a big believer in organic and use it whenever and wherever I can. But, when it comes to beef I think being grass-fed makes a HUGE difference. Not only is it better for you and for the planet and for the cow, it also tastes way better. Give it a try when you cook with beef. I know it's more expensive, but I really believe that it is worth it.

About an hour before you're ready to make the casserole, pull your crispy crowns out of the freezer and let them sit on the counter to thaw a bit...they cook better/faster and get crispier if they thaw some in advance.

Preheat oven to 350. Spray a large skillet with cooking spray and cook the onion over medium heat until tender and translucent. Add the chopped garlic and cook for one minute more. Add the beef and cook over medium heat until no longer pink. Drain any standing grease from the mixture.

In a large bowl combine the soup, milk and sour cream. Whisk until smooth. Add the ground beef mixture and stir to combine. Add corn and 1 cup of shredded cheddar cheese. Mix to combine.

Grease a 9x13 baking dish. Layer half of the crispy crowns on the bottom of the dish. Pour the beef mixture over the top, then layer the remaining crispy crowns on top of that. Sprinkle another 1/2 to 1 cup of shredded cheese over the top and bake at 350 degrees for 25-30 minutes or until golden and crunchy.

Note: You can make this in advance (earlier in the day or even the night before) and just refrigerate it. About an hour before your ready to put it in the oven, sit it on the counter to come to room temperature a bit, then bake as directed.

Until next time, happy cooking!




Comments

Popular Posts

Crunchy Ramen Noodle Salad…I am so in love!

Here's a great little summer dish. A perfect side for whatever you've thrown on the grill. A great dish to pass for that neighborhood BBQ. A lovely salad to just make up and leave in the fridge for easy lunches on a hot day. It's Ramen Noodle Salad. Now, I'm not sure this dish actually qualifies as clean eating, despite the word "salad" in it's name…what with the ramen noodles and the seasoning packet. But it is so seriously good that I could have eaten the ENTIRE giant bowl of it. Seriously. When I made it last week I could not stop eating it. It might actually be a little addictive. So, don't say I didn't warn you... Crunchy Ramen Noodle Salad 2 pkg uncooked ramen noodles 2.5 oz sliced almonds (or just a big handful) 3/4 c. sunflower seeds 1/2 c. finely chopped onion (whatever kind you have) 1 bag broccoli slaw 2 ramen noodle seasoning packets 3/4 c. oil (use what you like; I used canola oil) 1/2 c. white vinegar 1/3 c. sugar

OMG Honey Mustard Pretzel-Crusted Chicken...So Good!

I made this chicken last weekend when we had family in visiting...this drives my husband nuts when I try out new recipes when we have guests...just because one little time dinner turned out awful! (Seriously, it was barely edible. Oops!) I say, this is the occasional price we pay for wonderful food exploration! And this Honey Mustard Pretzel-Crusted Chicken is a fantastic example of just that! It. Was. Delish.  So here you have it...tasty AND company-worthy! (My 4 year old loved it too...I mean, who doesn't love pretzels and honey mustard!) Honey Mustard Pretzel-Crusted Chicken   (from cinnamonspiceandeverythingnice.com) 4 c. hard sourdough pretzels, coarsely crushed 1/2 c. olive oil 1/2 c. Dijon mustard 1/3 c. honey 1/4 c. water 3 tbsp red wine vinegar (or other mild vinegar...I used white wine because it's what I had on hand) coarse salt and black pepper 1 1/2 lb boneless, skinless chicken breasts Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Set wire rack (like oven-safe coo

30 Days to a New Me: Danette May's 30 Day New You Challenge Review

 A little more than 30 days ago I was in despair. If you read my last post, you already know that I found myself in a post holiday/start of a new year funk. And I knew that a big part of that funk had to do with how I was (or in this case, wasn't) taking care of myself. I had let the holiday season take over my life and my better judgment. I had given up good eating and exercise habits. I had stopped writing. I hadn't had a moment to myself. It was not good. But one part of where I was mentally, emotionally and physically wasn't just holiday backlash. It was part of a bigger problem. Since we moved to our current home over three years ago, I had gained weight. A lot of weight, for me. (As of January 1, I weighed the most I had ever weighed outside of pregnancy.) I had tried many, many times to lose that weight, as I was gaining it, over the last few years. I used the same methods I had always successfully used to lose/maintain weight or increase fitness--stepping