Skip to main content

A Quick Reco: Jackie Warner Workout DVDs

Well, folks, in case you hadn't noticed, it's winter. Winter brings shorter, colder days and it brings my workouts inside. So, instead of walking and running outside, I'm all about the workout dvds in my basement. Right now I'm working from my existing stash, but each year I add a few to the mix so that I don't get bored, so I'm gearing up to buy a new one or two.

In the meantime, I thought I'd share a couple of dvds that I have in the rotation right now that I think are worth a try. As I type this my entire body is sore from this week's round of workouts, thanks to Jackie Warner. That seems a good sign, so here are a few thoughts on the two workout dvds I've been sweating to...

First, a few words about Jackie. She's famous for her Bravo TV series Workout. Which I have watched a few times a long while back. She has an incredible, muscular physique. Watching her makes you want to try harder so you can look like her. (Even though I'm not actually delusional enough to think I'll ever look like her. Doesn't matter.) I actually think she's mildly awkward on screen but I let that go for two reasons: 1. I think her workouts feel very close to an actual personal training session with a trainer. And 2. She does a good job of pointing out form and gives good info on what muscles you're working and why (like a personal trainer often does). Now, on to the workouts...



Jackie Warner: Xtreme Timesaver Training
Here's what I like about this dvd: 1. It's 30 minutes. I typically can only give over 30-40 minutes to working out each day. So this works for me. 2. It works upper body, lower body and core. 3. It works them all at once. Which means each exercise is efficient. It also means you get cardio while you're doing weights because you're working multiple muscle groups at once. 4. It makes me sweat. And there are times when I'm actually panting because I'm working so hard. (It also could be that I'm a bit out of shape right now.) But it leaves you feeling like you had a good workout. 5. She offers modifications to make each exercise easier or harder, so it can grow with you. 6. It reminds me of workouts I've done in the past with an actual live personal trainer. Which I like. The only real negative, as I see it, is that Jackie lacks the onscreen charisma of a Tony Horton or Chalene Johnson making it not quite as "fun". But I can forgive her that. (I kind of feel the same way about Jillian Michaels...sometimes she can be so awkward.)



Jackie Warner: One-on-One Training
This dvd is broken down into three, 20 minute workouts: 20 minute lower body focus, 20 minute upper body focus, and 20 minute ab focus. As I mentioned, 60 minutes ain't gonna happen for me, so I recently did the upper and lower body workouts one day, and then the ab workout along with a 20 minute Turbo Jam workout the next day. On this dvd Jackie works out with some of the trainers from her SkyLab training gym in California. (Note: They all have bodies that make you want to train harder...but they also all have perfect form because they're all actual trainers, so it's great for making sure you're doing the moves correctly.) As with the other dvd, I really felt like these workouts were similar to workouts a personal trainer would put you through. And they left me SORE. I couldn't even keep up on the ab workout. It was seriously tough. (Full disclosure: My abs are also seriously out of shape right now.) All in all: good stuff.

Okay, folks, that's all I have to say about that. Remember, a lot of times you can try checking these out from your local library to try them out before you buy. Though I'm pretty sure that you can get Xtreme Timesaver Training for about 5 or 6 bucks from Amazon at the moment. Now, if you have any favorite workout dvds, please share! I'm hoping to pick up some new ones soon, so I'd love any recommendations you have.

Until next time, happy sweating!


Comments

Popular Posts

Crunchy Ramen Noodle Salad…I am so in love!

Here's a great little summer dish. A perfect side for whatever you've thrown on the grill. A great dish to pass for that neighborhood BBQ. A lovely salad to just make up and leave in the fridge for easy lunches on a hot day. It's Ramen Noodle Salad. Now, I'm not sure this dish actually qualifies as clean eating, despite the word "salad" in it's name…what with the ramen noodles and the seasoning packet. But it is so seriously good that I could have eaten the ENTIRE giant bowl of it. Seriously. When I made it last week I could not stop eating it. It might actually be a little addictive. So, don't say I didn't warn you... Crunchy Ramen Noodle Salad 2 pkg uncooked ramen noodles 2.5 oz sliced almonds (or just a big handful) 3/4 c. sunflower seeds 1/2 c. finely chopped onion (whatever kind you have) 1 bag broccoli slaw 2 ramen noodle seasoning packets 3/4 c. oil (use what you like; I used canola oil) 1/2 c. white vinegar 1/3 c. sugar

OMG Honey Mustard Pretzel-Crusted Chicken...So Good!

I made this chicken last weekend when we had family in visiting...this drives my husband nuts when I try out new recipes when we have guests...just because one little time dinner turned out awful! (Seriously, it was barely edible. Oops!) I say, this is the occasional price we pay for wonderful food exploration! And this Honey Mustard Pretzel-Crusted Chicken is a fantastic example of just that! It. Was. Delish.  So here you have it...tasty AND company-worthy! (My 4 year old loved it too...I mean, who doesn't love pretzels and honey mustard!) Honey Mustard Pretzel-Crusted Chicken   (from cinnamonspiceandeverythingnice.com) 4 c. hard sourdough pretzels, coarsely crushed 1/2 c. olive oil 1/2 c. Dijon mustard 1/3 c. honey 1/4 c. water 3 tbsp red wine vinegar (or other mild vinegar...I used white wine because it's what I had on hand) coarse salt and black pepper 1 1/2 lb boneless, skinless chicken breasts Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Set wire rack (like oven-safe coo

30 Days to a New Me: Danette May's 30 Day New You Challenge Review

 A little more than 30 days ago I was in despair. If you read my last post, you already know that I found myself in a post holiday/start of a new year funk. And I knew that a big part of that funk had to do with how I was (or in this case, wasn't) taking care of myself. I had let the holiday season take over my life and my better judgment. I had given up good eating and exercise habits. I had stopped writing. I hadn't had a moment to myself. It was not good. But one part of where I was mentally, emotionally and physically wasn't just holiday backlash. It was part of a bigger problem. Since we moved to our current home over three years ago, I had gained weight. A lot of weight, for me. (As of January 1, I weighed the most I had ever weighed outside of pregnancy.) I had tried many, many times to lose that weight, as I was gaining it, over the last few years. I used the same methods I had always successfully used to lose/maintain weight or increase fitness--stepping