Skip to main content

Top Ten Things To Do Instead of Yelling


Nobody is listening. Nothing is going as planned. Nobody is doing what they're told. Nothing is going right. Nobody is cooperating.

It sounds like a recipe for yelling.

Nothing gets my blood boiling faster than things not going the way I want/need/planned them to. Not all the time. But when conditions are right (i.e. Mommy's tired, stressed, etc.), look out.

It happened just today. It was actually what prompted a change in this week's Top Ten Tuesday post. Another battle of wills between mom and child.

I had a plan. In order to leave for the pool in time to get a reasonable amount of time there before coming home for dinner, we needed to get my son's nap in a little early. Everything was going according to plan...until it wasn't. Apparently my son did not get the memo...that I sent out...in triplicate.

As we sat in the chair in his room, me encouraging sleep, him fighting it (despite being tired), I could feel my blood start to boil. I could feel my shoulder's tense. I knew what was coming. I tried (sort of) to fight it. I kept it at bay for a while. But then, when he started clapping instead of dozing, I burst. I barked out an order. (Something to the effect of "Go to sleep now or no pool!") He jumped with surprise and then started to cry. I now felt frustrated and angry...and guilty and stupid. (What a bully I am, yelling at a 3 year old.)

Eventually, we both calmed down and he went to sleep, and we all got to the pool just fine. But I sat in the chair in his room with him sleeping on me and thought long and hard about yelling. Why I do it and how to stop.

Yelling is like evening snacking for me, I know when I'm about to do it that it's not a good idea...but then I do it anyway...and feel bad about it afterwards.

So, how to stop?

Of course the best course of action is to change your mindset so that you never get to the point of "about to yell." (Lower the bar and let good enough be good enough. Let it go. Etc.) But, while we're working on that, another course of action is to interrupt the cycle exactly at that point of "about to yell." You can feel it in your body when it's about to happen...the frustration rising, the impending explosion. Right at that moment, step in and change your reaction to that feeling. Instead of yelling, try doing one of these ten things. Then, once the feeling has passed and you've calmed down, go back and address the situation that incited the yell response in the first place.

And by the way, this isn't limited to interaction with your kids. It works when you're stuck in traffic behind some *!^##(&. Or any other time your blood gets boiling.

So here we go with today's top ten list...

Top Ten Things To Do Instead of Yelling


10. Take a time out (remove yourself from the situation until you've calmed down: step outside, go in the garage, close yourself into a closet or bathroom; and stay there until you're rational and sane again)
9. Sing (sing anything; sing a nursery rhyme; sing the reason you're upset like an opera singer; sing a silly, made-up song)
8. Dance (dance like a fool; nothing interrupts the yelling cycle like blatant silliness; do anything super silly; this also works when you force yourself to laugh like a crazy person...eventually the laughter will turn from a forced act to genuine laughter)
7. Whisper (gently whisper instead of yelling; but it doesn't count if you do it through gritted teeth...sometimes that's scarier than yelling)
6. Run...around the room or around the block (how far you go depends on how worked-up you are; you can also do jumping jacks or push-ups)
5. Say positive thoughts or a mantra or prayer out loud (like Hands Free Mama, Rachel Macy Stafford's "Only love today"; repeat it over and over until you've calmed down.)
4. Splash cool water on your face/light a scented candle/massage your neck and head
3. Drink an entire glass of water (by the time you're done, your outburst potential is diminished)
2. Do 4-Square Breathing (Breath in for 4 counts, hold it for 4 counts, breathe out for 4 counts, hold it for 4 counts; repeat 4 times.)
1. Show affection instead of anger. When you feel overwhelmed by the urge to yell, hug and kiss instead. Say "I love you. I love you. I love you." over and over again unit you feel THAT feeling, instead of frustration or anger.

Try interrupting the yelling cycle and I promise you'll like yourself better when you do. Remember, Only love today.

Until next time, go sing: "For the love of all that's goooooood and hoooooooooly in this woooooooorld, pleeeeeeeease pick up your soooooooooocks off the floooooooooor! God made for you a haaaaaaaaaaaaampeeeeeeeeeer. Uuuuuuuuuuuse iiiiiiiiit!"...like an opera singer.


Comments

Popular Posts

Crunchy Ramen Noodle Salad…I am so in love!

Here's a great little summer dish. A perfect side for whatever you've thrown on the grill. A great dish to pass for that neighborhood BBQ. A lovely salad to just make up and leave in the fridge for easy lunches on a hot day. It's Ramen Noodle Salad. Now, I'm not sure this dish actually qualifies as clean eating, despite the word "salad" in it's name…what with the ramen noodles and the seasoning packet. But it is so seriously good that I could have eaten the ENTIRE giant bowl of it. Seriously. When I made it last week I could not stop eating it. It might actually be a little addictive. So, don't say I didn't warn you... Crunchy Ramen Noodle Salad 2 pkg uncooked ramen noodles 2.5 oz sliced almonds (or just a big handful) 3/4 c. sunflower seeds 1/2 c. finely chopped onion (whatever kind you have) 1 bag broccoli slaw 2 ramen noodle seasoning packets 3/4 c. oil (use what you like; I used canola oil) 1/2 c. white vinegar 1/3 c. sugar

OMG Honey Mustard Pretzel-Crusted Chicken...So Good!

I made this chicken last weekend when we had family in visiting...this drives my husband nuts when I try out new recipes when we have guests...just because one little time dinner turned out awful! (Seriously, it was barely edible. Oops!) I say, this is the occasional price we pay for wonderful food exploration! And this Honey Mustard Pretzel-Crusted Chicken is a fantastic example of just that! It. Was. Delish.  So here you have it...tasty AND company-worthy! (My 4 year old loved it too...I mean, who doesn't love pretzels and honey mustard!) Honey Mustard Pretzel-Crusted Chicken   (from cinnamonspiceandeverythingnice.com) 4 c. hard sourdough pretzels, coarsely crushed 1/2 c. olive oil 1/2 c. Dijon mustard 1/3 c. honey 1/4 c. water 3 tbsp red wine vinegar (or other mild vinegar...I used white wine because it's what I had on hand) coarse salt and black pepper 1 1/2 lb boneless, skinless chicken breasts Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Set wire rack (like oven-safe coo

30 Days to a New Me: Danette May's 30 Day New You Challenge Review

 A little more than 30 days ago I was in despair. If you read my last post, you already know that I found myself in a post holiday/start of a new year funk. And I knew that a big part of that funk had to do with how I was (or in this case, wasn't) taking care of myself. I had let the holiday season take over my life and my better judgment. I had given up good eating and exercise habits. I had stopped writing. I hadn't had a moment to myself. It was not good. But one part of where I was mentally, emotionally and physically wasn't just holiday backlash. It was part of a bigger problem. Since we moved to our current home over three years ago, I had gained weight. A lot of weight, for me. (As of January 1, I weighed the most I had ever weighed outside of pregnancy.) I had tried many, many times to lose that weight, as I was gaining it, over the last few years. I used the same methods I had always successfully used to lose/maintain weight or increase fitness--stepping