Skip to main content

Top Ten Pet Peeves Just For Today


I'm annoyed. I really shouldn't be. But I am. Nothing is really wrong. No bad things have happened. As a matter of fact, things have been great. I am loving these fabulous, fun summer weekends we've been having. It's just been one of those days when all of the little stuff seems to be going wrong and ordinary stuff is getting on my nerves. And here it is: time to write another Top Ten Tuesday post. What will I write about today? You guessed it: How about a wee list of complaints. A venting. A mini-rant. A list of my Top Ten Pet Peeves Just For Today...

Top Ten Pet Peeves Just For Today
10. The interference of my husband's work schedule in my attempts at summer plans
9. When my Fitbit randomly goes into sleep mode during the day without me realizing it and stops recording my steps
8. My inability to shake my to-do list and let go some days
7. Wet grass and too much rain and depressing gray skies and sticky humidity
6. Super, over-the-top, crazy-loud kid voices All. Day. Long.
5. Toys EVERYWHERE!
4. The dog getting into the garbage
3. That it's impossible to make a small bag of microwave popcorn in our microwave without burning it
2. That my son often wakes me up SO early and I'm SO stinkin' tired
1. Both my husband and my dog snoring a (albeit relatively quiet) symphonic duet when I'm trying to fall asleep


Bonus: That my current book took over 200 pages before it finally got really good.
Double bonus: And then I stayed up until after midnight reading when I should have been sleeping.


Now that I've gotten that little rant off my chest, here's the view of my day from a place of gratitude...


Top Ten Things I'm Grateful For Today
10. That my husband has a great job that supports our family and allows me to be home with the kids
9. That my Fitbit brings me greater awareness of how active I am each day
8. My ability to stay on top of things and get things done
7. The rain that helps our grass (and everything else) grow and stay a lovely shade of green
6. My kids and their beautiful, boisterous, energetic voices
5. That we have the means to provide, and the loving family who gives, lots of fun things for our kids
4. Having a loyal canine companion who loves me no matter how often I tell him to get out from under my feet and stay away from the garbage
3. That somebody invented microwaves and microwave popcorn
2. That my son often wakes me up with big smiles and lots of cuddles
1. That with the slightest of nudges they both stop snoring and I get to sleep in peace surrounded by love


Bonus: That my book finally got REALLY good.
Double Bonus: Yeah, I got nothing on that one...I'm really tired this morning......Oh, wait, I've got one.....That I get to enjoy a much-needed second cup of delicious coffee this morning.

Until next time, let yourself feel a little glum or a touch annoyed about whatever is getting on your nerves these days...but then turn it around and focus on what you have to be grateful for. Seriously. Actually list it out just like this. List each annoyance, then flip each one into something to be grateful for. You'll be amazed by how much this helps change your perspective and attitude. It can actually turn around a bad mood, or even a bad day. Try it.





Comments

Popular Posts

Crunchy Ramen Noodle Salad…I am so in love!

Here's a great little summer dish. A perfect side for whatever you've thrown on the grill. A great dish to pass for that neighborhood BBQ. A lovely salad to just make up and leave in the fridge for easy lunches on a hot day. It's Ramen Noodle Salad. Now, I'm not sure this dish actually qualifies as clean eating, despite the word "salad" in it's name…what with the ramen noodles and the seasoning packet. But it is so seriously good that I could have eaten the ENTIRE giant bowl of it. Seriously. When I made it last week I could not stop eating it. It might actually be a little addictive. So, don't say I didn't warn you... Crunchy Ramen Noodle Salad 2 pkg uncooked ramen noodles 2.5 oz sliced almonds (or just a big handful) 3/4 c. sunflower seeds 1/2 c. finely chopped onion (whatever kind you have) 1 bag broccoli slaw 2 ramen noodle seasoning packets 3/4 c. oil (use what you like; I used canola oil) 1/2 c. white vinegar 1/3 c. sugar

OMG Honey Mustard Pretzel-Crusted Chicken...So Good!

I made this chicken last weekend when we had family in visiting...this drives my husband nuts when I try out new recipes when we have guests...just because one little time dinner turned out awful! (Seriously, it was barely edible. Oops!) I say, this is the occasional price we pay for wonderful food exploration! And this Honey Mustard Pretzel-Crusted Chicken is a fantastic example of just that! It. Was. Delish.  So here you have it...tasty AND company-worthy! (My 4 year old loved it too...I mean, who doesn't love pretzels and honey mustard!) Honey Mustard Pretzel-Crusted Chicken   (from cinnamonspiceandeverythingnice.com) 4 c. hard sourdough pretzels, coarsely crushed 1/2 c. olive oil 1/2 c. Dijon mustard 1/3 c. honey 1/4 c. water 3 tbsp red wine vinegar (or other mild vinegar...I used white wine because it's what I had on hand) coarse salt and black pepper 1 1/2 lb boneless, skinless chicken breasts Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Set wire rack (like oven-safe coo

30 Days to a New Me: Danette May's 30 Day New You Challenge Review

 A little more than 30 days ago I was in despair. If you read my last post, you already know that I found myself in a post holiday/start of a new year funk. And I knew that a big part of that funk had to do with how I was (or in this case, wasn't) taking care of myself. I had let the holiday season take over my life and my better judgment. I had given up good eating and exercise habits. I had stopped writing. I hadn't had a moment to myself. It was not good. But one part of where I was mentally, emotionally and physically wasn't just holiday backlash. It was part of a bigger problem. Since we moved to our current home over three years ago, I had gained weight. A lot of weight, for me. (As of January 1, I weighed the most I had ever weighed outside of pregnancy.) I had tried many, many times to lose that weight, as I was gaining it, over the last few years. I used the same methods I had always successfully used to lose/maintain weight or increase fitness--stepping