Skip to main content

Top Ten Favorite Workout Videos

I have been, off and on for most of my adulthood, a pretty heavy workout video user. Though there have been times when I worked out at a gym or only ran or walked for exercise (or was a couch potato), much of the time at-home workout videos have been a mainstay in my workout diet.

So I thought I'd share a few of my favorites from over the years…as well as this one little tip: if you have a great local library where you can check out dvd's (like I used to Ohio), the library is a fantastic place to tryout workout videos before you buy them…or just to mix up your workout routine--challenging yourself and your muscles and staving off boredom, with regular workout change-ups. I would simply research workout videos and create a list of ones I was interested in. Then I would put a couple on hold at my local library. I'd check them out and use them, then, as I needed to return them, I'd add others to my hold list or just randomly pull something off the shelves. It was great.

Workout dvd's can provide an excellent workout. They can make-up your entire workout regiment or act as a great supplement to a running, walking or cycling routine. Many are relatively inexpensive, they're always right there--just a few clicks on the remote away--and they aren't weather dependent, giving them a leg up on gym memberships and outdoor exercise. You can also do them with the kids right there. Let them join in the workout or give them something to do nearby. Then you're getting your workout in AND you're setting a really good example when they can actually SEE you sweating to the oldies (or whatever).

That said, here are some of the workout videos (or sets) that I have liked in recent years:

Top Ten Favorite Workout Videos
10a. Denise Austin Yoga Essentials. It's old. I don't even know if you can still get it. But I put it on the list because she might have newer ones that are good as well and I just haven't used them. I have done a lot of yoga videos over the years and I always come back to this one. I think Denise Austin can be pretty annoying sometimes as an instructor, but I always found this yoga workout both soothing and invigorating, both accessible for a beginner and challenging enough for someone who's practiced. It's basic. But it's good.
10b. Slim in 6. This is particularly good if you're new to working out or are just getting back into it (say, after a pregnancy). The workouts are simple and straightforward but effective. And it builds in workout length and intensity over time. But I still will use the initial (shortest) workout when I'm mixing things up with various dvd's.
9. Jackie Warner Xtreme Time Saver Training. Jackie can be mildly awkward at times but I think she gives a good workout and knows her stuff. And I'm down with anything that gets it done in 30 minutes.
8. Yoga Shakti with Shiva Rea. This is probably my favorite yoga dvd. You can customize your workouts with a menu at the beginning making it as long or short as you want and choosing what series of poses you do and don't want to do. Plus she's pretty cool.
7. Turbo Jam. This is the original set and add-on's from 6 or 8 years ago. It is fun and it makes you sweat. I would imagine that Chalene Johnson's newer stuff is pretty great too.
6. The Firm Body Sculpting System 2. I used to be addicted to The Firm workouts. And I likely will be again some day. I was working out with The Firm back in the days of VHS. This particular set is from maybe 10 years ago (it is dvd, though). Overall, I think they put together quality workouts, wether it's this set or another of theirs.
5. P90X. It's a major commitment. 90 days of one hour a day, six days a week, workouts. But it gets it done. And it's great for both women and men. My husband and I did this together a few years back. Good bonding time.
4. Power90 Fat Burning Express. This is a little one-off workout from Tony Horton's original Power90 workouts. But it's 30 minutes and for some reason I just love this little workout--it's fun, engaging, fast paced and filmed outside in Hawaii.
3. Transform Your Body with Brooke Burke: Strength & Condition. Do this if for no other reason than to look at Brooke Burke's body and think…she has lots of kids, maybe I really could look like that. Because that chick has one hot body. And it's a nice workout.
2. Jillian Michael's Extreme Shed and Shred. Jillian Michaels is a bit of a goof, but she knows what she's doing and she gives a good workout…pretty much always. I think this is a really good workout and I also like her original 30 Day Shred.
1. P90X3. This is my current pain-maker. Just like P90X workouts but in 30 minutes…which I find much more manageable in my life with kids. We just started it a few weeks ago (my husband and I are doing it together this time too), but I can already tell you that Tony Horton delivers once again.


There you have it. Ten great workout dvd's. The next ones on my list to try are Focus T25 (and maybe the Insanity workouts) with Shaun T, Chalene Johnson's ChaLEAN Extreme, and the Physique 57 workouts. Plus I'm interested in this kettle bell workout: http://www.shopkettlebellkickboxing.com. You can check out my Health and Fitness board on Pinterest here: http://www.pinterest.com/amylorbach/health-and-fitness/ for some other ideas/articles/whatnot for fitness information and inspiration.

Do you have any favorite workout dvd's? If so, I'd love to hear about them so I can add them to my list.

Until next time, happy sweating.




Comments

Popular Posts

Crunchy Ramen Noodle Salad…I am so in love!

Here's a great little summer dish. A perfect side for whatever you've thrown on the grill. A great dish to pass for that neighborhood BBQ. A lovely salad to just make up and leave in the fridge for easy lunches on a hot day. It's Ramen Noodle Salad. Now, I'm not sure this dish actually qualifies as clean eating, despite the word "salad" in it's name…what with the ramen noodles and the seasoning packet. But it is so seriously good that I could have eaten the ENTIRE giant bowl of it. Seriously. When I made it last week I could not stop eating it. It might actually be a little addictive. So, don't say I didn't warn you... Crunchy Ramen Noodle Salad 2 pkg uncooked ramen noodles 2.5 oz sliced almonds (or just a big handful) 3/4 c. sunflower seeds 1/2 c. finely chopped onion (whatever kind you have) 1 bag broccoli slaw 2 ramen noodle seasoning packets 3/4 c. oil (use what you like; I used canola oil) 1/2 c. white vinegar 1/3 c. sugar

OMG Honey Mustard Pretzel-Crusted Chicken...So Good!

I made this chicken last weekend when we had family in visiting...this drives my husband nuts when I try out new recipes when we have guests...just because one little time dinner turned out awful! (Seriously, it was barely edible. Oops!) I say, this is the occasional price we pay for wonderful food exploration! And this Honey Mustard Pretzel-Crusted Chicken is a fantastic example of just that! It. Was. Delish.  So here you have it...tasty AND company-worthy! (My 4 year old loved it too...I mean, who doesn't love pretzels and honey mustard!) Honey Mustard Pretzel-Crusted Chicken   (from cinnamonspiceandeverythingnice.com) 4 c. hard sourdough pretzels, coarsely crushed 1/2 c. olive oil 1/2 c. Dijon mustard 1/3 c. honey 1/4 c. water 3 tbsp red wine vinegar (or other mild vinegar...I used white wine because it's what I had on hand) coarse salt and black pepper 1 1/2 lb boneless, skinless chicken breasts Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Set wire rack (like oven-safe coo

30 Days to a New Me: Danette May's 30 Day New You Challenge Review

 A little more than 30 days ago I was in despair. If you read my last post, you already know that I found myself in a post holiday/start of a new year funk. And I knew that a big part of that funk had to do with how I was (or in this case, wasn't) taking care of myself. I had let the holiday season take over my life and my better judgment. I had given up good eating and exercise habits. I had stopped writing. I hadn't had a moment to myself. It was not good. But one part of where I was mentally, emotionally and physically wasn't just holiday backlash. It was part of a bigger problem. Since we moved to our current home over three years ago, I had gained weight. A lot of weight, for me. (As of January 1, I weighed the most I had ever weighed outside of pregnancy.) I had tried many, many times to lose that weight, as I was gaining it, over the last few years. I used the same methods I had always successfully used to lose/maintain weight or increase fitness--stepping