Skip to main content

Poor Man's Baked Brie: The Hot & Easy Appetizer That Looks and Tastes Like You Worked Hard

Okay folks. Have you ever had one of those "Oh Crap!" feelings that comes with the realization that not only do you need to find something to wear to a party, you also need to come up with an appetizer to bring with you? And, of course, there's no time to get it all done with the chaos of kids at your feet. (Or maybe you just don't feel like chopping and mixing…)

Well, though I can be of absolutely no help with what you should wear to the party (I have NOTHING either to wear either!), I can help with what appetizer to bring. And while I have lots of super yummy apps (the ones you eat, not the ones on your phone), this one is by far the easiest. And, absolutely every time I have ever served this dish people rave about it and ask for the recipe. When I tell them, they almost never believe me that it's this simple. But it is. And it's *that* good too. Trust me.

Before I give you the easiest (yet deliciously impressive) party appetizer recipe you'll ever have, I first must give a shout-out to the person who shared this recipe with me years ago: my dear, dear friend, Susie. A truly awesome woman and friend who I absolutely adore.

So, try this recipe, and then thank me…and Susie…for it's simple genius! Go ahead, try it. I'll wait…

*photo borrowed from shewearsmanyhats.com

Poor Man's Baked Brie
1 can crescent dough
1 block cream cheese (I use low fat because it makes me feel better about myself)
1 jar apricot preserves
Crackers and fruit for serving

Preheat your oven to the temperature recommended on the crescent dough canister (typically 350 or 375 degrees).

Roll out the crescent dough. (Note: They make crescent dough in seamless sheets now, buy that if you can. But if you can't find it, just get the one for regular crescent rolls. If you have the one for the crescent rolls, once you roll out the dough go through and pinch together the perforations because you're going to use this as a sheet of dough.)

Place your block of cream cheese in the center of the dough, then wrap the dough around the cream cheese block. If you can artfully wrap the dough around the cheese, great, make it pretty. If not, just turn the wrapped block of cheese over so the smooth side is facing up.

Then place it on an ungreased cookie sheet. Put it in the oven and bake until dough is golden brown (about 20-30 minutes depending on your oven...use the crescent dough directions as a guideline for time then just check it regularly…it will take more time than if you were just baking the crescent rolls).

Remove from oven once golden and use a spatula to move it from the cookie sheet to a serving platter. Pour the jar of apricot preserves over the top of the warm, crescent dough-wrapped, baked cheese (yep, just dump it on!), then surround it with crackers and sliced apple or pear and provide a knife for serving.

If you're feeling fancy you can: cut out a few little leaf shapes from the raw dough and put them on top for decoration (just watch them when you're baking as you may need to cover them with foil part way through so they don't burn); or you can add a few decoratively placed pecans to the top once you've poured on the preserves; or you could also add a small bunch of red grapes to the platter. And then...

Voila! A hot, delicious appetizer that is truly addictive. So good. And seriously easy.

Enjoy!

Until next time, happy partying!


Comments

Popular Posts

Crunchy Ramen Noodle Salad…I am so in love!

Here's a great little summer dish. A perfect side for whatever you've thrown on the grill. A great dish to pass for that neighborhood BBQ. A lovely salad to just make up and leave in the fridge for easy lunches on a hot day. It's Ramen Noodle Salad. Now, I'm not sure this dish actually qualifies as clean eating, despite the word "salad" in it's name…what with the ramen noodles and the seasoning packet. But it is so seriously good that I could have eaten the ENTIRE giant bowl of it. Seriously. When I made it last week I could not stop eating it. It might actually be a little addictive. So, don't say I didn't warn you... Crunchy Ramen Noodle Salad 2 pkg uncooked ramen noodles 2.5 oz sliced almonds (or just a big handful) 3/4 c. sunflower seeds 1/2 c. finely chopped onion (whatever kind you have) 1 bag broccoli slaw 2 ramen noodle seasoning packets 3/4 c. oil (use what you like; I used canola oil) 1/2 c. white vinegar 1/3 c. sugar

OMG Honey Mustard Pretzel-Crusted Chicken...So Good!

I made this chicken last weekend when we had family in visiting...this drives my husband nuts when I try out new recipes when we have guests...just because one little time dinner turned out awful! (Seriously, it was barely edible. Oops!) I say, this is the occasional price we pay for wonderful food exploration! And this Honey Mustard Pretzel-Crusted Chicken is a fantastic example of just that! It. Was. Delish.  So here you have it...tasty AND company-worthy! (My 4 year old loved it too...I mean, who doesn't love pretzels and honey mustard!) Honey Mustard Pretzel-Crusted Chicken   (from cinnamonspiceandeverythingnice.com) 4 c. hard sourdough pretzels, coarsely crushed 1/2 c. olive oil 1/2 c. Dijon mustard 1/3 c. honey 1/4 c. water 3 tbsp red wine vinegar (or other mild vinegar...I used white wine because it's what I had on hand) coarse salt and black pepper 1 1/2 lb boneless, skinless chicken breasts Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Set wire rack (like oven-safe coo

30 Days to a New Me: Danette May's 30 Day New You Challenge Review

 A little more than 30 days ago I was in despair. If you read my last post, you already know that I found myself in a post holiday/start of a new year funk. And I knew that a big part of that funk had to do with how I was (or in this case, wasn't) taking care of myself. I had let the holiday season take over my life and my better judgment. I had given up good eating and exercise habits. I had stopped writing. I hadn't had a moment to myself. It was not good. But one part of where I was mentally, emotionally and physically wasn't just holiday backlash. It was part of a bigger problem. Since we moved to our current home over three years ago, I had gained weight. A lot of weight, for me. (As of January 1, I weighed the most I had ever weighed outside of pregnancy.) I had tried many, many times to lose that weight, as I was gaining it, over the last few years. I used the same methods I had always successfully used to lose/maintain weight or increase fitness--stepping