Skip to main content

A Mother's Meditation: Read This To Yourself Everyday, Mama. It's My Valentine To You.


Happy Valentine's Day Friends!

I was reminded by someone this morning that Valentine's Day is a romantic day for couples to celebrate their love. I've been so focused on Valentine's with my kids, that I forgot that lots of people think of it that way. I guess I thought of it that way before I had kids. Especially during the years I was single. But now I think of it as a day to show love to everybody. I am focused on showing love to my kids and my husband and whoever I come into contact with. That means starting the day with chocolate chip Valentine pancakes and mystery Valentines for the kids, and extra treats for the dog too! It's also a great day to remember to show a little love to ourselves too (like a yummy cup of coffee and an hour at the coffeshop for me!). And I'm focused on teaching my kids to show their love to others. (We've been in crazy crafting mode for the last two weeks to show our love to others…for some reason Valentine's Day really brings it out in me. I don't know why, but I love it.)

Anyway, my way of showing you all a little love today is to share something with you that I just discovered and really loved.

Last weekend I went to a mom workshop led by a local blogger that I follow. And while the workshop was a bit of a mixed bag of good and not-so-good, one of my favorite take-aways was this Mother's Meditation that she shared with us. It's a perfect break for moms any day, but especially helpful on those particularly crazy days when you feel you're losing your grip (and maybe losing your patience, getting short with the kids, and yelling).

So, fellow moms, take a moment and read this to yourselves and find a little peace and focus in your crazy, love-filled day. (Or find an audio recording of it here: http://meghannathanson.com/a-mothers-meditation-2/ and listen to it.) And then pull it back out whenever you need a little piece of peace.

A Mother's Meditation by Meghan Nathanson

I quiet my mind with a deep, stilling breath. And then another. I sit in the emptiness and experience myself, the light in me, perhaps for the first time today. I am quiet. All of the sounds and emotions of my day fall away. I greet myself gently and forgive myself the moments when I was not the Mother I hope to be. I value myself for the moments when I was. I envision a circle of light washing over me, filling me back up with all of the love and energy that I put into caring for my children today. My mind is clear. My heart is happy. I have energy. I have confidence. I have joy. I breathe deeply once again, shedding all negative thoughts. I let go of the way I believe things should be and feel peace with what is. I experience my children's beautiful, sparkling eyes in my mind and see them as if for the first time. I invite their spirit to join with mine and together we give thanks for the miracle of our perfect union. I trust that we were brought together perfectly and that we have so much to learn from one another. I sit in this beautiful place and allow my breath to heal any pain I might have felt in my experience as a Mother today or on any other day. I come to a place where I may begin again in wholeness. A deep love comes over me. With my breath I find my rhythm again. I find a pace for my words and actions that allows me to meet each moment with grace and presence. Beauty enters. And nature. I know that I will treat my children with greater gentleness. I will hear their words. I will smile at them and invite their thoughts into my heart. All that they are will be safe and respected with me. As I come to the end of this quiet moment I take another healing breath and see myself with the same love that I feel for my children. The love I share with my children each day showers me right now. I feel peace. I feel energized for the days to come. I feel alive and ready to give.

Until next time, go forth with mindfulness and gratitude; go forth with love, my valentines…and Namaste to you.





Comments

Popular Posts

Crunchy Ramen Noodle Salad…I am so in love!

Here's a great little summer dish. A perfect side for whatever you've thrown on the grill. A great dish to pass for that neighborhood BBQ. A lovely salad to just make up and leave in the fridge for easy lunches on a hot day. It's Ramen Noodle Salad. Now, I'm not sure this dish actually qualifies as clean eating, despite the word "salad" in it's name…what with the ramen noodles and the seasoning packet. But it is so seriously good that I could have eaten the ENTIRE giant bowl of it. Seriously. When I made it last week I could not stop eating it. It might actually be a little addictive. So, don't say I didn't warn you... Crunchy Ramen Noodle Salad 2 pkg uncooked ramen noodles 2.5 oz sliced almonds (or just a big handful) 3/4 c. sunflower seeds 1/2 c. finely chopped onion (whatever kind you have) 1 bag broccoli slaw 2 ramen noodle seasoning packets 3/4 c. oil (use what you like; I used canola oil) 1/2 c. white vinegar 1/3 c. sugar

OMG Honey Mustard Pretzel-Crusted Chicken...So Good!

I made this chicken last weekend when we had family in visiting...this drives my husband nuts when I try out new recipes when we have guests...just because one little time dinner turned out awful! (Seriously, it was barely edible. Oops!) I say, this is the occasional price we pay for wonderful food exploration! And this Honey Mustard Pretzel-Crusted Chicken is a fantastic example of just that! It. Was. Delish.  So here you have it...tasty AND company-worthy! (My 4 year old loved it too...I mean, who doesn't love pretzels and honey mustard!) Honey Mustard Pretzel-Crusted Chicken   (from cinnamonspiceandeverythingnice.com) 4 c. hard sourdough pretzels, coarsely crushed 1/2 c. olive oil 1/2 c. Dijon mustard 1/3 c. honey 1/4 c. water 3 tbsp red wine vinegar (or other mild vinegar...I used white wine because it's what I had on hand) coarse salt and black pepper 1 1/2 lb boneless, skinless chicken breasts Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Set wire rack (like oven-safe coo

30 Days to a New Me: Danette May's 30 Day New You Challenge Review

 A little more than 30 days ago I was in despair. If you read my last post, you already know that I found myself in a post holiday/start of a new year funk. And I knew that a big part of that funk had to do with how I was (or in this case, wasn't) taking care of myself. I had let the holiday season take over my life and my better judgment. I had given up good eating and exercise habits. I had stopped writing. I hadn't had a moment to myself. It was not good. But one part of where I was mentally, emotionally and physically wasn't just holiday backlash. It was part of a bigger problem. Since we moved to our current home over three years ago, I had gained weight. A lot of weight, for me. (As of January 1, I weighed the most I had ever weighed outside of pregnancy.) I had tried many, many times to lose that weight, as I was gaining it, over the last few years. I used the same methods I had always successfully used to lose/maintain weight or increase fitness--stepping