Skip to main content

The Most Wonderful Time of the Year? Well, not if I have anything to do with it!

I am a gigantic ball of stress.

My shoulders are up by my ears. I have a tension headache radiating up from the knots in my neck. I will likely develop TMJ from my tightly clenched jaw. I am in an almost constant state of shockingly frenzied to-do-list panic. I yell way more than I find acceptable.

"Help." I call quietly from the center of my being. "Help me, please."

Somebody pull me out of this crazed state of overwhelmingness. Somebody take away my computer and my phone. Somebody take away the iPad and the TV from the kids. Somebody hide my planner and my to-do lists. Somebody grab me by the shoulders and look me in the eye and tell me sternly to just stop.

Stop shopping online at all hours. Stop with the Christmas cards and the Christmas calendar. Stop yelling at the kids for being crazy kids and driving me nuts. Stop being driven nuts by my children only because I'm already overwhelmed. Stop with the decorating. Stop with the errand running and the marathon Target shopping sessions with a 2 year old. Stop with the trying to find the perfect gift for everyone. Stop with trying to help other people find the perfect gift. Stop feeling guilty because I forgot to rsvp to breakfast with Santa and there are no longer any spots open. Stop with the birthday party planning and gift buying and party favor getting and craft planning. Stop with the…

Just stop.

Then tell me to go play with my kids. Tell me to curl up on the couch and watch a show with my husband. Tell me to have a cup of coffee...sitting down…but not driving the car. Tell me to have a glass of wine. Tell me to go ahead snack without feeling guilty…we'll get that in a few weeks, now is not the time. Remind me that the kids don't need all of that stuff. Remind me that none of my favorite memories of Christmas as a kid were of breakfasts with Santa or cute Christmas cards from Shutterfly or running errands with a frenzied Mom (I don't even remember my mom being frenzied).

I remember lots of Christmas music and silly singing and dancing. I remember selecting and decorating the tree. I remember yummy food. I remember being with my family. I remember shopping for gifts for the ones I love. I remember Christmas Eve and Christmas Day traditions. I remember my dad's immense love for the season despite working in retail. I remember all of my mom's wonderful Christmas decorations.

And as an adult, before having kids, I remember all of that being so enjoyable to do…decorating and shopping were things I looked forward to, not things I was just trying to cross of my list so that I could move on to the next task. I remember being so much like my dad at Christmas time.

But not this year. Not last year either, if memory serves.

So remind me that I want that feeling back. I want this to be the most wonderful time of the year, like it was for my first 35 years. I don't want to be the Grinch or Scrooge or what the new Christmas classic should be--a story in which the main character kills the Christmas spirit by trying to "do it all". We'll call her Amy. The Amy Who Stole Christmas.

Don't let yourself be an Amy this holiday season.

Reconnect with the spirit of the holidays. Reconnect with what you've always loved most about the holidays, with what the holidays really mean to you. Focus on those things and let all the rest of it go.

Sing songs. Dance silly. Eat cookies (make them if that will bring you joy…otherwise just buy some). Watch movies. Sip hot cocoa. Cuddle with your sweethearts. Look at the pretty lights. Revitalize your favorite traditions. Start some new ones…like sending New Years cards instead of Christmas cards. Or make Valentine's Day your big gift giving holiday with your spouse and make Christmas just about the kids. (Both things I'm considering for next year.)

And for God's sake, put down that damn iPhone and re-engage with the world around you.

And if you see me, please grab me by the shoulders and shake some sense into me. "Snap out of it, Amy!" Say it right to my face. "Don't be the Amy who stole Christmas!"

And then get me a hot beverage, take me by the arm and take a stroll with me to look at Christmas decorations.

We'll find the kids again once we're done. I'm sure they'll be fine. They're pretty durable.

Until next time, go enjoy the most wonderful time of the year…and don't be an Amy!

Happy Holidays!

Comments

Popular Posts

Crunchy Ramen Noodle Salad…I am so in love!

Here's a great little summer dish. A perfect side for whatever you've thrown on the grill. A great dish to pass for that neighborhood BBQ. A lovely salad to just make up and leave in the fridge for easy lunches on a hot day. It's Ramen Noodle Salad. Now, I'm not sure this dish actually qualifies as clean eating, despite the word "salad" in it's name…what with the ramen noodles and the seasoning packet. But it is so seriously good that I could have eaten the ENTIRE giant bowl of it. Seriously. When I made it last week I could not stop eating it. It might actually be a little addictive. So, don't say I didn't warn you... Crunchy Ramen Noodle Salad 2 pkg uncooked ramen noodles 2.5 oz sliced almonds (or just a big handful) 3/4 c. sunflower seeds 1/2 c. finely chopped onion (whatever kind you have) 1 bag broccoli slaw 2 ramen noodle seasoning packets 3/4 c. oil (use what you like; I used canola oil) 1/2 c. white vinegar 1/3 c. sugar

OMG Honey Mustard Pretzel-Crusted Chicken...So Good!

I made this chicken last weekend when we had family in visiting...this drives my husband nuts when I try out new recipes when we have guests...just because one little time dinner turned out awful! (Seriously, it was barely edible. Oops!) I say, this is the occasional price we pay for wonderful food exploration! And this Honey Mustard Pretzel-Crusted Chicken is a fantastic example of just that! It. Was. Delish.  So here you have it...tasty AND company-worthy! (My 4 year old loved it too...I mean, who doesn't love pretzels and honey mustard!) Honey Mustard Pretzel-Crusted Chicken   (from cinnamonspiceandeverythingnice.com) 4 c. hard sourdough pretzels, coarsely crushed 1/2 c. olive oil 1/2 c. Dijon mustard 1/3 c. honey 1/4 c. water 3 tbsp red wine vinegar (or other mild vinegar...I used white wine because it's what I had on hand) coarse salt and black pepper 1 1/2 lb boneless, skinless chicken breasts Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Set wire rack (like oven-safe coo

30 Days to a New Me: Danette May's 30 Day New You Challenge Review

 A little more than 30 days ago I was in despair. If you read my last post, you already know that I found myself in a post holiday/start of a new year funk. And I knew that a big part of that funk had to do with how I was (or in this case, wasn't) taking care of myself. I had let the holiday season take over my life and my better judgment. I had given up good eating and exercise habits. I had stopped writing. I hadn't had a moment to myself. It was not good. But one part of where I was mentally, emotionally and physically wasn't just holiday backlash. It was part of a bigger problem. Since we moved to our current home over three years ago, I had gained weight. A lot of weight, for me. (As of January 1, I weighed the most I had ever weighed outside of pregnancy.) I had tried many, many times to lose that weight, as I was gaining it, over the last few years. I used the same methods I had always successfully used to lose/maintain weight or increase fitness--stepping