Skip to main content

Tween Reading…The Books that Kept Me Page-Turning Earlier this Year (Part 2)

I'm baa-aack...with more tween reading reviews. Here are three more fun books for you and your tween/teen reader. Truly…don't think that just because these books are in the children's section at your local library means that they aren't for you. They are. They are lovely books. They are well written. They are enjoyable reads. And they will take you back to days gone by, when life seemed so complicated, but was, in fact, so simple. Take a trip with me. First to...


The City of Ember by Jeanne Duprau
This is the first in the currently oh-so-popular literary form: the trilogy…in this case it's the first book in the Book of Ember trilogy. I have not yet read books two and three, but book one was a fun read, and I will likely pick up book two eventually.

The people of Ember have never known anything but the dark, structured world they live in. They don't know that the city of Ember was built as a last refuge for the human race two hundred years ago. What they do know is that the great lamps that light the city are beginning to flicker and no one knows what to do. While the rest of the city worries but carries on as if everything is normal, Lina finds part of an ancient message that she is sure holds a secret that will save the city. Now she and her friend Doon must decipher the message and find a way to save the day before the lights go out on Ember forever.

This is a dystopian future novel appropriate for a slightly younger set than the likes of The Hunger Games. Nothing scary, just suspenseful. My favorite part? Duprau does a great job of painting the picture of the city of Ember. I felt like I could really see it, like I could run the streets right along with Lina. And I love that. Fun read.


The View from Saturday by E.L. Konigsburg
The View from Saturday was a different sort of tween book than a lot of the popular ones today. There was nothing really fantastical about it: no futuristic world, no alternate universe, no magic, nothing out of the ordinary…other than maybe the kismet that brings this group of kids together.

What brought Noah, Nadia, Ethan and Julian together? How did Mrs. Olinski choose these four sixth graders for her Academic Bowl team? Intuition? Chance? Some sort of divine intervention? All that really matters is that they find their way together and as an unlikely team they are able to do amazing things…for themselves and for others.

Konigsburg does a great job weaving together four individual stories (one for each kid) into a greater story. It's an uplifting read with fun, well-drawn, quirky characters that you'll cheer for. Sweet read.


11 Birthdays by Wendy Mass
This is a book that I think any 8-12 year old would really enjoy. It is a cute tween version of Groundhogs Day. And I always like it when there are valuable life lessons hidden in fun reads for kids, and 11 Birthdays certainly has that.

It's Amanda's 11th birthday and she's so excited, despite the rift between her and her best friend and birthday-sharer, Leo. But the day is disastrous from start to finish, and by the time it's over she can't wait to sleep it off and wake up to a new day. But things don't go quite as she had planned. And a new day isn't exactly what she wakes up to. Now she's got to figure out what's going on and how to make it right.

11 Birthdays is a light, quick read…like Sweet Tarts for the adult brain. But for an 8-12 year old? I think it's a great choice…a delightful read.


Certainly there must be something to interest you here. And if not, maybe there will be in the next installment of the tween reading series. After all, there are more than 15 books in the series, so something's bound to click with you.

But what I'm most hoping for is that this series will inspire you to try out the tween, children's chapter books and young adult sections at your local library or bookstore. There are so many fantastic books in there just waiting to be discovered by you. They are waiting to transport you to another time and place. To give you a break from your crazy, responsible, wonderful adult life.

Take them up on it. Take the trip.

Until next time, happy reading.

Comments

Popular Posts

Crunchy Ramen Noodle Salad…I am so in love!

Here's a great little summer dish. A perfect side for whatever you've thrown on the grill. A great dish to pass for that neighborhood BBQ. A lovely salad to just make up and leave in the fridge for easy lunches on a hot day. It's Ramen Noodle Salad. Now, I'm not sure this dish actually qualifies as clean eating, despite the word "salad" in it's name…what with the ramen noodles and the seasoning packet. But it is so seriously good that I could have eaten the ENTIRE giant bowl of it. Seriously. When I made it last week I could not stop eating it. It might actually be a little addictive. So, don't say I didn't warn you... Crunchy Ramen Noodle Salad 2 pkg uncooked ramen noodles 2.5 oz sliced almonds (or just a big handful) 3/4 c. sunflower seeds 1/2 c. finely chopped onion (whatever kind you have) 1 bag broccoli slaw 2 ramen noodle seasoning packets 3/4 c. oil (use what you like; I used canola oil) 1/2 c. white vinegar 1/3 c. sugar

OMG Honey Mustard Pretzel-Crusted Chicken...So Good!

I made this chicken last weekend when we had family in visiting...this drives my husband nuts when I try out new recipes when we have guests...just because one little time dinner turned out awful! (Seriously, it was barely edible. Oops!) I say, this is the occasional price we pay for wonderful food exploration! And this Honey Mustard Pretzel-Crusted Chicken is a fantastic example of just that! It. Was. Delish.  So here you have it...tasty AND company-worthy! (My 4 year old loved it too...I mean, who doesn't love pretzels and honey mustard!) Honey Mustard Pretzel-Crusted Chicken   (from cinnamonspiceandeverythingnice.com) 4 c. hard sourdough pretzels, coarsely crushed 1/2 c. olive oil 1/2 c. Dijon mustard 1/3 c. honey 1/4 c. water 3 tbsp red wine vinegar (or other mild vinegar...I used white wine because it's what I had on hand) coarse salt and black pepper 1 1/2 lb boneless, skinless chicken breasts Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Set wire rack (like oven-safe coo

30 Days to a New Me: Danette May's 30 Day New You Challenge Review

 A little more than 30 days ago I was in despair. If you read my last post, you already know that I found myself in a post holiday/start of a new year funk. And I knew that a big part of that funk had to do with how I was (or in this case, wasn't) taking care of myself. I had let the holiday season take over my life and my better judgment. I had given up good eating and exercise habits. I had stopped writing. I hadn't had a moment to myself. It was not good. But one part of where I was mentally, emotionally and physically wasn't just holiday backlash. It was part of a bigger problem. Since we moved to our current home over three years ago, I had gained weight. A lot of weight, for me. (As of January 1, I weighed the most I had ever weighed outside of pregnancy.) I had tried many, many times to lose that weight, as I was gaining it, over the last few years. I used the same methods I had always successfully used to lose/maintain weight or increase fitness--stepping