Skip to main content

This Week in Soup...Another Homerun! Sweet Potato, Mushroom and Gouda Chowder

Okay, okay, I know…ANOTHER soup recipe. But you've got to ride this soup train with me because it is just so damn delicious! Seriously people, I am on a roll here. So try another soup with me and, I promise, I'll recommend some books or wax poetic about something not in my le creuset next week. Deal? Okay. So…

Sweet Potato, Mushroom and Gouda Chowder.

If you like mushrooms, this is heaven in a bowl! I kid you not. My husband, who is not a mushroom fan, liked this soup. I, who am a mushroom lover, drooled over it. (I am pretty sure I moaned while eating it.) Absolutely delicious. As good or better than anything of the like that I've had in great restaurant. Take a nice piece of crusty, fresh, bakery bread and dredge it through your bowl…oh. so. good.

Bon appe-freakin'-tit, baby.

(photo from ahintofhoney.com)

Sweet Potato, Mushroom and Gouda Chowder (adapted from ahintofhoney.com)
6 slices bacon, diced
1 medium sweet onion, diced
1 lb mushrooms, sliced (I used half shitakes, half button; original recipe called for cremini; use what you like)
2 large sweet potatoes (about 2 lbs.), peeled and cubed
2 cloves garlic, minced
1/4 tsp dried thyme
1 bay leaf
2 1/2+ cups vegetable or chicken broth
1/2 to 1 cup half and half
4 oz. gouda, cubed or shredded
salt and pepper to taste

In large pot or dutch oven, cook the diced bacon until crisp. Remove the bacon and set aside. Add the diced onions and mushrooms to the bacon drippings in the pot. Season with a little salt and pepper and cook until the moisture released from the mushrooms evaporates and the vegetables begin to brown, about 10 minutes. (If desired, add 1/4 cup white wine to deglaze the pan before continuing. I plan to do this next time I make this recipe, but did not this time (I only had red open! I know, tragedy!).)

Add the cubed sweet potatoes and minced garlic, stirring to combine. Add the thyme, bay leaf and stock (I think I used about 3 cups of organic chicken stock. Just eyeball-it. But make sure there's enough in the pot to cook your potatoes.) Cook until sweet potatoes are tender, about 10-15 minutes. Return most of the bacon to the pot, leaving a little extra to garnish when serving. Remove the bay leaf. Puree as much or as little of the soup as you want in a blender or food processor, or use an immersion blender. (I pureed about a third of the soup in my blender.) Return the pureed soup to the pot.

Add the half and half and gouda. (I used the full cup of half and half, which added a lot of richness. Next time I'll likely add about a half cup then taste and add more as desired. I just cubed the gouda and added it to the pot. If you want it to melt faster, shred your gouda.) Simmer until the soup has heated through and the cheese is melted. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Serve warm, garnished with a sprinkle of bacon and a side of LOTS of yummy bakery bread. (You know I had a whole loaf of sour dough!!) Enjoy! Serves 4-6.

P.S. I will admit that this is not necessarily the most kid-friendly recipe…mushrooms are not a widely adored kid food. But my daughter did eat some of the sweet potatoes in the broth. I just picked around the mushrooms when I served hers up. Still, I'd consider this more of an adult flavor profile. So throw some chicken nuggets in the oven for the kids while this one bubbles away on the stove.

Until next time, happy cooking!





Comments

Popular Posts

Crunchy Ramen Noodle Salad…I am so in love!

Here's a great little summer dish. A perfect side for whatever you've thrown on the grill. A great dish to pass for that neighborhood BBQ. A lovely salad to just make up and leave in the fridge for easy lunches on a hot day. It's Ramen Noodle Salad. Now, I'm not sure this dish actually qualifies as clean eating, despite the word "salad" in it's name…what with the ramen noodles and the seasoning packet. But it is so seriously good that I could have eaten the ENTIRE giant bowl of it. Seriously. When I made it last week I could not stop eating it. It might actually be a little addictive. So, don't say I didn't warn you... Crunchy Ramen Noodle Salad 2 pkg uncooked ramen noodles 2.5 oz sliced almonds (or just a big handful) 3/4 c. sunflower seeds 1/2 c. finely chopped onion (whatever kind you have) 1 bag broccoli slaw 2 ramen noodle seasoning packets 3/4 c. oil (use what you like; I used canola oil) 1/2 c. white vinegar 1/3 c. sugar

OMG Honey Mustard Pretzel-Crusted Chicken...So Good!

I made this chicken last weekend when we had family in visiting...this drives my husband nuts when I try out new recipes when we have guests...just because one little time dinner turned out awful! (Seriously, it was barely edible. Oops!) I say, this is the occasional price we pay for wonderful food exploration! And this Honey Mustard Pretzel-Crusted Chicken is a fantastic example of just that! It. Was. Delish.  So here you have it...tasty AND company-worthy! (My 4 year old loved it too...I mean, who doesn't love pretzels and honey mustard!) Honey Mustard Pretzel-Crusted Chicken   (from cinnamonspiceandeverythingnice.com) 4 c. hard sourdough pretzels, coarsely crushed 1/2 c. olive oil 1/2 c. Dijon mustard 1/3 c. honey 1/4 c. water 3 tbsp red wine vinegar (or other mild vinegar...I used white wine because it's what I had on hand) coarse salt and black pepper 1 1/2 lb boneless, skinless chicken breasts Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Set wire rack (like oven-safe coo

30 Days to a New Me: Danette May's 30 Day New You Challenge Review

 A little more than 30 days ago I was in despair. If you read my last post, you already know that I found myself in a post holiday/start of a new year funk. And I knew that a big part of that funk had to do with how I was (or in this case, wasn't) taking care of myself. I had let the holiday season take over my life and my better judgment. I had given up good eating and exercise habits. I had stopped writing. I hadn't had a moment to myself. It was not good. But one part of where I was mentally, emotionally and physically wasn't just holiday backlash. It was part of a bigger problem. Since we moved to our current home over three years ago, I had gained weight. A lot of weight, for me. (As of January 1, I weighed the most I had ever weighed outside of pregnancy.) I had tried many, many times to lose that weight, as I was gaining it, over the last few years. I used the same methods I had always successfully used to lose/maintain weight or increase fitness--stepping