Skip to main content

Tween Reading…The Books that Kept Me Page-Turning Earlier this Year (Part 1)


This past Spring I spent a few months consulting with our favorite children's librarian back in Hudson, Miss Beth, and reading my way through the Tween bookshelves. If she recommended it, I read it. And for the better part of 90 days I devoured 16 books…and had a ton of fun doing it!

Lesson learned: when you have a 2 and 4 year old, what better place to find your literary adventure launchpad than your local children's library? I was spending all my time there anyway! And it was much easier to peruse books for myself while keeping a watchful eye on the tots-at-play when I didn't have the leave the children's area.

Well, I've been meaning to share the fruits of my adventure with you for quite some time. And it seems there is no time like the present. So, welcome to part one of my many-part series on tween reading. I hope you enjoy this foray into the lives of 9-13 year olds as much as I did. There are some amazing authors in this genre, and I will most certainly be back to visit again soon.

And so we begin...

Eggs by Jerry Spinelli
This was the first book I read on this adventure. And what a lovely beginning it was…

David, 9, recently lost his mother to a freak accident. His father travels for work constantly, leaving him to take his anger and grief out on his grandmother. Primrose, 13, is a strong, smart girl living with an unstable, flighty mother. Despite their age difference, David and Primrose forge a tight bond within a sometimes rocky friendship, eventually helping each other deal with what is missing in their lives.

It is a beautiful, moving story about two very quirky, yet totally lovable kids. You will grow to love them both and cheer for their happy endings. Eggs is a sweet story with well-crafted prose…and it's a super quick read (as are most of the tween books). I highly recommend it. (Plus it made me love the name Primrose.)


Drums, Girls and Dangerous Pie by Jordan Sonnenblick
Okay, so technically I think this might qualify as Young Adult fiction, depending on your library, but I read it next and loved it, so here you go…

This story is both hilarious and heartbreaking and it captures early adolescence so well you will feel like you're back in it…or at least it will stir up memories and visceral feelings from that time in your life and you will look back on that kid-you-once-were with fondness and compassion.

Steven is living the normal 13 year old's life, complete with playing drums in the jazz band, a crush on the hot girl, and an annoying younger brother…until that brother is diagnosed with leukemia, leaving Steven to attempt to navigate his new, strange world. He is, quite realistically, equal parts selfish teenager and caring champion.

It's a great read. (But you might shed a few tears.)


Olive's Ocean by Kevin Henkes
Kevin Henkes is an amazingly talented author. He wrote one of my favorite picture books My Garden, as well as the sweet Chrysanthemum. And I've now read two of his tween books, both lovely. Olive's Ocean was next on my librarian reco list.

12 year old Martha and her family are headed to her grandmother's home in New England for their annual summer visit when the mother of her deceased classmate, Olive, arrives on her doorstep with a page from her daughter's journal. In this single page Martha learns more about the quiet Olive than she ever knew before, and finds a kinship with this girl who is already gone. At the Cape, Martha realizes that things in her life are changing: she is faced with her Grandmother's mortality, as well as her own, she watches her father struggle with his own life choices, and she stumbles awkwardly into the world of Boys.

Kevin Henkes' book isn't splashy or showy or loud. It is quiet and subtle and well-crafted. And with him you will revisit the growing pains of childhood--the anguish and heartache and confusion, as well as the freedom and awe of being 12. You should go there.


Well, that should get you started. I'll be back soon with more tween reading reviews.

Until next time, happy reading!






Comments

Popular Posts

Crunchy Ramen Noodle Salad…I am so in love!

Here's a great little summer dish. A perfect side for whatever you've thrown on the grill. A great dish to pass for that neighborhood BBQ. A lovely salad to just make up and leave in the fridge for easy lunches on a hot day. It's Ramen Noodle Salad. Now, I'm not sure this dish actually qualifies as clean eating, despite the word "salad" in it's name…what with the ramen noodles and the seasoning packet. But it is so seriously good that I could have eaten the ENTIRE giant bowl of it. Seriously. When I made it last week I could not stop eating it. It might actually be a little addictive. So, don't say I didn't warn you... Crunchy Ramen Noodle Salad 2 pkg uncooked ramen noodles 2.5 oz sliced almonds (or just a big handful) 3/4 c. sunflower seeds 1/2 c. finely chopped onion (whatever kind you have) 1 bag broccoli slaw 2 ramen noodle seasoning packets 3/4 c. oil (use what you like; I used canola oil) 1/2 c. white vinegar 1/3 c. sugar

OMG Honey Mustard Pretzel-Crusted Chicken...So Good!

I made this chicken last weekend when we had family in visiting...this drives my husband nuts when I try out new recipes when we have guests...just because one little time dinner turned out awful! (Seriously, it was barely edible. Oops!) I say, this is the occasional price we pay for wonderful food exploration! And this Honey Mustard Pretzel-Crusted Chicken is a fantastic example of just that! It. Was. Delish.  So here you have it...tasty AND company-worthy! (My 4 year old loved it too...I mean, who doesn't love pretzels and honey mustard!) Honey Mustard Pretzel-Crusted Chicken   (from cinnamonspiceandeverythingnice.com) 4 c. hard sourdough pretzels, coarsely crushed 1/2 c. olive oil 1/2 c. Dijon mustard 1/3 c. honey 1/4 c. water 3 tbsp red wine vinegar (or other mild vinegar...I used white wine because it's what I had on hand) coarse salt and black pepper 1 1/2 lb boneless, skinless chicken breasts Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Set wire rack (like oven-safe coo

30 Days to a New Me: Danette May's 30 Day New You Challenge Review

 A little more than 30 days ago I was in despair. If you read my last post, you already know that I found myself in a post holiday/start of a new year funk. And I knew that a big part of that funk had to do with how I was (or in this case, wasn't) taking care of myself. I had let the holiday season take over my life and my better judgment. I had given up good eating and exercise habits. I had stopped writing. I hadn't had a moment to myself. It was not good. But one part of where I was mentally, emotionally and physically wasn't just holiday backlash. It was part of a bigger problem. Since we moved to our current home over three years ago, I had gained weight. A lot of weight, for me. (As of January 1, I weighed the most I had ever weighed outside of pregnancy.) I had tried many, many times to lose that weight, as I was gaining it, over the last few years. I used the same methods I had always successfully used to lose/maintain weight or increase fitness--stepping