Skip to main content

Honey Lime Shrimp: An Easy and Delicious Dinner

It's only been in the last year that I've added shrimp to my regular cooking routine. As it turns out, my daughter likes it, so it really expands our protein options at dinner time. Plus, shrimp is SO easy to cook--first, because it cooks fast, and second, because buying it frozen means it's easy to have on-hand (and you might as well buy it frozen, because, unless you live seaside, it has been frozen before it gets to you whether you find it in the freezer section or not).

Anyway, I've been experimenting with many different shrimp recipes and have had lots of luck. I'm certain I will share more in the future, but this one was so good when I made it last week, that it inspired me to share it with you right away.

The flavors of honey, lime and shrimp just go together…like they were meant to be. So this dish is absolutely delicious. And it is SO EASY! (You know that's my favorite--delicious AND easy!) Especially when you make it on the stove top--there is so little prep time involved…the rice you make to go with it will take longer to prepare that this shrimp (it was delish served atop Jasmati rice). And the flavor profile is just right for the warmer weather that it upon us.

So crack open a Corona and get your shrimp on!


Honey Lime Shrimp
1 lb shrimp, peeled and deveined (I buy the already peeled and deveined frozen shrimp and simply dump them into a bowl and run cold water over them to thaw them right before I use them.)
1/2 c. olive oil
4 tbsp honey
Juice of 1 lg or 2 sm limes
Zest of 1 lg or 2 sm limes
4 cloves garlic, minced
1 tsp kosher salt
1/2 tsp black pepper
1/4 tsp red pepper flake (more if you want more heat)

One of the nice things about this recipe is that you can prepare it two ways, depending on your mood…on the stove top or on the grill. I did the stove top because it was still pre-grilling weather here when I made this, but I would imagine that grilling the shrimp will be delicious as well. Either way you make it, the ingredients are the same. So here you go…

Stove top
Prepare sauce by combining all ingredients except shrimp in small bowl. Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat then add shrimp and sauce to the pan. Cook until sauce is warmed through and shrimp are done. Serve shrimp and sauce over rice with a veggie side of your choice (we did steamed green beans).

Grill
Prepare marinade by mixing together all ingredients except the shrimp in a small bowl. Skewer the shrimp, then place the skewers and the marinade into a large Ziploc bag--making sure it's sealed tightly. Move the marinade around to make sure it coats all of the shrimp and place in the refrigerator for 1 hour. Turn the bag a few times throughout the marinating time to make sure all of the shrimp are getting coated. Remove the shrimp from the refrigerator and let sit at room temperature for about ten minutes, then grill and serve.

Recipe can easily be halved or doubled depending on the amount of shrimp you need to feed your crowd.

Until next time…


recipe adapted from thedoughwillriseagain.wordpress.com


Comments

Popular Posts

Crunchy Ramen Noodle Salad…I am so in love!

Here's a great little summer dish. A perfect side for whatever you've thrown on the grill. A great dish to pass for that neighborhood BBQ. A lovely salad to just make up and leave in the fridge for easy lunches on a hot day. It's Ramen Noodle Salad. Now, I'm not sure this dish actually qualifies as clean eating, despite the word "salad" in it's name…what with the ramen noodles and the seasoning packet. But it is so seriously good that I could have eaten the ENTIRE giant bowl of it. Seriously. When I made it last week I could not stop eating it. It might actually be a little addictive. So, don't say I didn't warn you... Crunchy Ramen Noodle Salad 2 pkg uncooked ramen noodles 2.5 oz sliced almonds (or just a big handful) 3/4 c. sunflower seeds 1/2 c. finely chopped onion (whatever kind you have) 1 bag broccoli slaw 2 ramen noodle seasoning packets 3/4 c. oil (use what you like; I used canola oil) 1/2 c. white vinegar 1/3 c. sugar

OMG Honey Mustard Pretzel-Crusted Chicken...So Good!

I made this chicken last weekend when we had family in visiting...this drives my husband nuts when I try out new recipes when we have guests...just because one little time dinner turned out awful! (Seriously, it was barely edible. Oops!) I say, this is the occasional price we pay for wonderful food exploration! And this Honey Mustard Pretzel-Crusted Chicken is a fantastic example of just that! It. Was. Delish.  So here you have it...tasty AND company-worthy! (My 4 year old loved it too...I mean, who doesn't love pretzels and honey mustard!) Honey Mustard Pretzel-Crusted Chicken   (from cinnamonspiceandeverythingnice.com) 4 c. hard sourdough pretzels, coarsely crushed 1/2 c. olive oil 1/2 c. Dijon mustard 1/3 c. honey 1/4 c. water 3 tbsp red wine vinegar (or other mild vinegar...I used white wine because it's what I had on hand) coarse salt and black pepper 1 1/2 lb boneless, skinless chicken breasts Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Set wire rack (like oven-safe coo

30 Days to a New Me: Danette May's 30 Day New You Challenge Review

 A little more than 30 days ago I was in despair. If you read my last post, you already know that I found myself in a post holiday/start of a new year funk. And I knew that a big part of that funk had to do with how I was (or in this case, wasn't) taking care of myself. I had let the holiday season take over my life and my better judgment. I had given up good eating and exercise habits. I had stopped writing. I hadn't had a moment to myself. It was not good. But one part of where I was mentally, emotionally and physically wasn't just holiday backlash. It was part of a bigger problem. Since we moved to our current home over three years ago, I had gained weight. A lot of weight, for me. (As of January 1, I weighed the most I had ever weighed outside of pregnancy.) I had tried many, many times to lose that weight, as I was gaining it, over the last few years. I used the same methods I had always successfully used to lose/maintain weight or increase fitness--stepping