Skip to main content

This Week in Food: Oh-So-Yummy Sesame Chicken

I just made this recipe last week and we all liked it so much that I had to share it with all of you...it's Sesame Chicken. Nothing totally new and different, nothing you haven't had before, but uber good and relatively easy. I found the recipe, via pinterest, on the How Sweet It Is blog (www.howsweeteats.com). And because I wasn't planning on sharing the recipe at the time I made it, I didn't take any pictures, so I had to borrow one from How Sweet It Is too, so all the credit goes to Jessica--Kudos on a yummy recipe! So, here it is...





Sesame Chicken
2 lbs. chicken breast, chopped into bite-size pieces
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp pepper
3 tbsp flour

1 tbsp toasted sesame oil
1 tbsp olive oil

1 tbsp toasted sesame oil
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 tbsp soy sauce
1 tbsp brown sugar
1 tbsp white vinegar (I used white wine vinegar because I was out of regular white)
1/2 c. chicken stock

2-3 tbsp toasted sesame seeds

Rice
Veggies

Preheat oven to 400 degrees. In a bowl, whisk together chicken stock, brown sugar, 1 tbsp sesame oil, garlic, soy sauce and vinegar and set it aside. Heat oven-proof skillet over med-hi heat. Toss chicken with salt, pepper and flour. Add olive oil and 1 tbsp sesame oil to skillet. Once hot, add chicken. Cook until golden, then flip and cook until golden. Pour chicken stock mixture over the chicken, toss to coat and move skillet to oven. Bake 20 minutes. Carefully remove skillet from oven and sprinkle with sesame seeds. Serve over rice with a vegetable. Delish!

I served the sesame chicken over jasmine rice with a side of steamed green beans. Brown rice would have been healthier, but jasmine is just so good (and I had some on hand). And though we had the green beans on the side, they could easily be mixed in with the chicken and served over the rice. You could also serve this with broccoli or whatever other veggie works for you. If you want to mix your veggies in with the chicken, I recommend increasing the sauce by at least 50%. Just be careful increasing the sauce, because you want more sauce but you also still want it to thicken-up in the oven. Play with it. I'll probably increase the sauce next time I make it just because we like a little more sauce on our rice...and it was good!

Also note, please be very careful removing the hot skillet from the oven and working around it once you've got it out...I burned myself shifting the pan on the stovetop trying to get more green beans for my son...and MAN, did that hurt! So be safe...

And, until next time, happy cooking!


Comments

Popular Posts

Crunchy Ramen Noodle Salad…I am so in love!

Here's a great little summer dish. A perfect side for whatever you've thrown on the grill. A great dish to pass for that neighborhood BBQ. A lovely salad to just make up and leave in the fridge for easy lunches on a hot day. It's Ramen Noodle Salad. Now, I'm not sure this dish actually qualifies as clean eating, despite the word "salad" in it's name…what with the ramen noodles and the seasoning packet. But it is so seriously good that I could have eaten the ENTIRE giant bowl of it. Seriously. When I made it last week I could not stop eating it. It might actually be a little addictive. So, don't say I didn't warn you... Crunchy Ramen Noodle Salad 2 pkg uncooked ramen noodles 2.5 oz sliced almonds (or just a big handful) 3/4 c. sunflower seeds 1/2 c. finely chopped onion (whatever kind you have) 1 bag broccoli slaw 2 ramen noodle seasoning packets 3/4 c. oil (use what you like; I used canola oil) 1/2 c. white vinegar 1/3 c. sugar

OMG Honey Mustard Pretzel-Crusted Chicken...So Good!

I made this chicken last weekend when we had family in visiting...this drives my husband nuts when I try out new recipes when we have guests...just because one little time dinner turned out awful! (Seriously, it was barely edible. Oops!) I say, this is the occasional price we pay for wonderful food exploration! And this Honey Mustard Pretzel-Crusted Chicken is a fantastic example of just that! It. Was. Delish.  So here you have it...tasty AND company-worthy! (My 4 year old loved it too...I mean, who doesn't love pretzels and honey mustard!) Honey Mustard Pretzel-Crusted Chicken   (from cinnamonspiceandeverythingnice.com) 4 c. hard sourdough pretzels, coarsely crushed 1/2 c. olive oil 1/2 c. Dijon mustard 1/3 c. honey 1/4 c. water 3 tbsp red wine vinegar (or other mild vinegar...I used white wine because it's what I had on hand) coarse salt and black pepper 1 1/2 lb boneless, skinless chicken breasts Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Set wire rack (like oven-safe coo

30 Days to a New Me: Danette May's 30 Day New You Challenge Review

 A little more than 30 days ago I was in despair. If you read my last post, you already know that I found myself in a post holiday/start of a new year funk. And I knew that a big part of that funk had to do with how I was (or in this case, wasn't) taking care of myself. I had let the holiday season take over my life and my better judgment. I had given up good eating and exercise habits. I had stopped writing. I hadn't had a moment to myself. It was not good. But one part of where I was mentally, emotionally and physically wasn't just holiday backlash. It was part of a bigger problem. Since we moved to our current home over three years ago, I had gained weight. A lot of weight, for me. (As of January 1, I weighed the most I had ever weighed outside of pregnancy.) I had tried many, many times to lose that weight, as I was gaining it, over the last few years. I used the same methods I had always successfully used to lose/maintain weight or increase fitness--stepping