Skip to main content

Indoor Winter Activities: Masking Tape Games

So, it is ridiculously cold outside right now. Like single-digits-to-teens cold, plus a windchill. And it's snowing. Which is kind of a slap in the face for my daughter, because it's actually too cold to go out and play in the snow. She can just watch longingly from the window as it falls to the ground. And it's been like this all week. So I have a couple of stir-crazy kids who need a little physical activity.

A while back I remember seeing something on Pinterest about "masking tape games." I'm not even sure if I looked at the actual link, or if I just saw a picture on the pin and that was enough to plant the seed in my brain, but when I was a Target earlier in the week I picked up a fresh roll of masking tape and then got to work on some games.

As you can see, I wasn't going for perfection here. Kids usually don't care so much about how straight your lines are or how neatly you tear the tape...they just want to get jumping. So here we go!

Portia showing you the roll of masking tape

The Long Jump

Okay, so, not the best photo ever, but you get the idea. We set up the long jump in the family room. I put down a big piece of tape to mark our starting line-- toes to the line, please! And then had the kids jump as far as they could and I marked their landing spot and recorded name and jump number on the tape so they could see their progress. These were all standing jumps. We then tried ones with a little running start (which the four year old got, not so much with the one year old!). We had so much fun with this. And they thought it was hilarious when I did it (I may have thrown in a few pratfalls for extra laughs).

Hopscotch and Bean Bag Toss

The hopscotch board was a little more labor intensive to bring to fruition, but totally worth the few minutes it took! We hopped all over the place on this one. We actually played hopscotch using some little beanbags we have (I got a set from Lakeshore Learning for the kids for Xmas). And we used the board for a bean bag toss game as well (i.e. Try and toss your beanbag on the 5 square.). Next we'll try some basic math with my four year old (i.e. Toss your two bean bags on two squares that add up to the number five.). My one year old just likes to run across the board as fast as he can. And he really loves for me to hold him and then hop on the numbers...it makes him laugh hysterically!

Balance Beam

Yes, this is a photo of a piece of tape on my rug. I know. But this simple, single piece of tape has been so much fun! We walk the beam, or the tightrope, depending on what imagined world we're playing in...sometimes we practice delicate turns and jumps on the line, sometimes we try not to fall off into the ocean, sometimes we try to dive off into the tiny bucket of water down below. Whatever we can dream up. And, again, it's a big hit when Mommy dramatically falls off into the water and then tries to swim for land (the couch)!

The Box

This might be my favorite of all the masking tape games so far. And I think it's my daughter's favorite too. When I started taping off this rectangle, she asked me what it was. And when I was done, I told her that it's whatever she imagines it to be. I jumped on it and said, "It's an island and I'm stranded at sea." Then she jumped on and said, "It's a surfboard and I'm in the waves." It really can be ANYTHING! Let their imaginations run wild!

Portia surfing the waves
And paddling for shore
It may not seem like much, but a roll of masking tape and a little time has proven to a whole lotta fun for these two kids...and for me! We've put these together over the last few days, and this morning the kids and I spent almost an hour playing around on them together. It's so fun and it burns some energy and uses imagination. That's a win, win, win in my book.

So go get yourself some masking tape and find a little space on the floor and get to taping...and then get to jumping!

Until next time, keep using that imagination!


Comments

Popular Posts

Crunchy Ramen Noodle Salad…I am so in love!

Here's a great little summer dish. A perfect side for whatever you've thrown on the grill. A great dish to pass for that neighborhood BBQ. A lovely salad to just make up and leave in the fridge for easy lunches on a hot day. It's Ramen Noodle Salad. Now, I'm not sure this dish actually qualifies as clean eating, despite the word "salad" in it's name…what with the ramen noodles and the seasoning packet. But it is so seriously good that I could have eaten the ENTIRE giant bowl of it. Seriously. When I made it last week I could not stop eating it. It might actually be a little addictive. So, don't say I didn't warn you... Crunchy Ramen Noodle Salad 2 pkg uncooked ramen noodles 2.5 oz sliced almonds (or just a big handful) 3/4 c. sunflower seeds 1/2 c. finely chopped onion (whatever kind you have) 1 bag broccoli slaw 2 ramen noodle seasoning packets 3/4 c. oil (use what you like; I used canola oil) 1/2 c. white vinegar 1/3 c. sugar

OMG Honey Mustard Pretzel-Crusted Chicken...So Good!

I made this chicken last weekend when we had family in visiting...this drives my husband nuts when I try out new recipes when we have guests...just because one little time dinner turned out awful! (Seriously, it was barely edible. Oops!) I say, this is the occasional price we pay for wonderful food exploration! And this Honey Mustard Pretzel-Crusted Chicken is a fantastic example of just that! It. Was. Delish.  So here you have it...tasty AND company-worthy! (My 4 year old loved it too...I mean, who doesn't love pretzels and honey mustard!) Honey Mustard Pretzel-Crusted Chicken   (from cinnamonspiceandeverythingnice.com) 4 c. hard sourdough pretzels, coarsely crushed 1/2 c. olive oil 1/2 c. Dijon mustard 1/3 c. honey 1/4 c. water 3 tbsp red wine vinegar (or other mild vinegar...I used white wine because it's what I had on hand) coarse salt and black pepper 1 1/2 lb boneless, skinless chicken breasts Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Set wire rack (like oven-safe coo

30 Days to a New Me: Danette May's 30 Day New You Challenge Review

 A little more than 30 days ago I was in despair. If you read my last post, you already know that I found myself in a post holiday/start of a new year funk. And I knew that a big part of that funk had to do with how I was (or in this case, wasn't) taking care of myself. I had let the holiday season take over my life and my better judgment. I had given up good eating and exercise habits. I had stopped writing. I hadn't had a moment to myself. It was not good. But one part of where I was mentally, emotionally and physically wasn't just holiday backlash. It was part of a bigger problem. Since we moved to our current home over three years ago, I had gained weight. A lot of weight, for me. (As of January 1, I weighed the most I had ever weighed outside of pregnancy.) I had tried many, many times to lose that weight, as I was gaining it, over the last few years. I used the same methods I had always successfully used to lose/maintain weight or increase fitness--stepping