Skip to main content

This Week In Food...Simple, Gourmet Sandwiches

What can be easier than sandwiches for dinner? Not much. But you can only cycle in grilled cheese so often. And I have trouble counting a PB&J as a real dinner. But THESE sandwiches are a different story. They are still pretty easy, but they are super yummy and a touch more "restaurant sophisticated" so they feel like a real meal. They are Simple, Gourmet Sandwiches. Pair them with soup or salad or maybe some sweet potato fries and you've got yourself some dinner!


Pear-Walnut Sandwiches
1/2 c. tub-style cream cheese
8 slices cinnamon-raisin bread, toasted (or any other good, bakery bread; it doesn't have to be a sweet bread, this is great on sour dough too!)
2 tbsp chopped walnuts, toasted
2 Bartlett pears, cored and thinly sliced
1 c. alfalfa sprouts

Spread 4 slices of toasted bread with cream cheese. Top with chopped, toasted walnuts, pear slices and alfalfa sprouts. Then top with remaining bread slices. Slice and serve.


Grilled Ham and Mango Quesadillas
1/2 c. mango chutney
4 8-inch multigrain or whole wheat tortillas
8 oz. shaved deli ham
1/2 c. crumbed queso fresco (you can use slices too)
handfull of chopped green onions, optional
Cooking spray

Spread mango chutney over half of each tortilla. Then top each evenly with ham and cheese and sprinkle with chopped green onions, if desired (I made them without the green onions). Fold tortillas in half. Spray outside of tortilla with cooking spray. Place quesadillas in a preheated pan or grill rack coated in cooking spray. Grill 2-3 minutes on each side or until tortilla is golden and cheese melts. Slice and serve.


Prosciutto, Fontina and Fig Paninis
8 slices crusty italian bread
4 oz. thin sliced prosciutto
1 1/4 c. shredded fontina cheese
1/2 c. baby arugula leaves
1/4 c. fig preserves
Cooking spray

Preheat panini grill or pan on stove. Top each of 4 bread slices evenly with prosciutto, fontina and arugula. Spread fig preserves over 1 side of each of the remaining slices of bread and top sandwiches. Coat outside of sandwiches with cooking spray and place on grill or in pan. Cook 3-4 mins. in panini grill, or about 3 mins. on each side in pan, or until bread is golden and cheese is melted. Slice and serve.


Blue Cheese and Pear Sandwiches
4 slices peasant bread (or other good bread)
Cooking spray
1 1/3 c. coarsely shopped watercress
2 tbsp olive oil
1/8 tsp salt
1/8 tsp pepper
2 medium pears, thinly sliced (I like Bartlett)
1/2 c. crumbled blue cheese

Preheat broiler. Please slices of bread on baking sheet. Coat each slice with cooking spray. Broil 2 mins. or until lightly toasted. Combine watercress, olive oil, salt and pepper in a small bowl and toss gently. Place pear slices evenly on bread slices and top with blue cheese. Broil 2-3 mins. or until cheese melts. Remove from oven and top with watercress mixture. Serve immediately. (Note: I promise you that the watercress prepared this way is absolutely wonderful and totally worth the effort!)

Until next time...Happy Cooking!


(All recipes from Cooking Light.)

Comments

  1. Amy - these all look scrumptious! Yowzers! Keep 'em coming.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Michele! I hope you get to enjoy them soon! I'll do my best to keep good things coming!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts

Crunchy Ramen Noodle Salad…I am so in love!

Here's a great little summer dish. A perfect side for whatever you've thrown on the grill. A great dish to pass for that neighborhood BBQ. A lovely salad to just make up and leave in the fridge for easy lunches on a hot day. It's Ramen Noodle Salad. Now, I'm not sure this dish actually qualifies as clean eating, despite the word "salad" in it's name…what with the ramen noodles and the seasoning packet. But it is so seriously good that I could have eaten the ENTIRE giant bowl of it. Seriously. When I made it last week I could not stop eating it. It might actually be a little addictive. So, don't say I didn't warn you... Crunchy Ramen Noodle Salad 2 pkg uncooked ramen noodles 2.5 oz sliced almonds (or just a big handful) 3/4 c. sunflower seeds 1/2 c. finely chopped onion (whatever kind you have) 1 bag broccoli slaw 2 ramen noodle seasoning packets 3/4 c. oil (use what you like; I used canola oil) 1/2 c. white vinegar 1/3 c. sugar

OMG Honey Mustard Pretzel-Crusted Chicken...So Good!

I made this chicken last weekend when we had family in visiting...this drives my husband nuts when I try out new recipes when we have guests...just because one little time dinner turned out awful! (Seriously, it was barely edible. Oops!) I say, this is the occasional price we pay for wonderful food exploration! And this Honey Mustard Pretzel-Crusted Chicken is a fantastic example of just that! It. Was. Delish.  So here you have it...tasty AND company-worthy! (My 4 year old loved it too...I mean, who doesn't love pretzels and honey mustard!) Honey Mustard Pretzel-Crusted Chicken   (from cinnamonspiceandeverythingnice.com) 4 c. hard sourdough pretzels, coarsely crushed 1/2 c. olive oil 1/2 c. Dijon mustard 1/3 c. honey 1/4 c. water 3 tbsp red wine vinegar (or other mild vinegar...I used white wine because it's what I had on hand) coarse salt and black pepper 1 1/2 lb boneless, skinless chicken breasts Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Set wire rack (like oven-safe coo

30 Days to a New Me: Danette May's 30 Day New You Challenge Review

 A little more than 30 days ago I was in despair. If you read my last post, you already know that I found myself in a post holiday/start of a new year funk. And I knew that a big part of that funk had to do with how I was (or in this case, wasn't) taking care of myself. I had let the holiday season take over my life and my better judgment. I had given up good eating and exercise habits. I had stopped writing. I hadn't had a moment to myself. It was not good. But one part of where I was mentally, emotionally and physically wasn't just holiday backlash. It was part of a bigger problem. Since we moved to our current home over three years ago, I had gained weight. A lot of weight, for me. (As of January 1, I weighed the most I had ever weighed outside of pregnancy.) I had tried many, many times to lose that weight, as I was gaining it, over the last few years. I used the same methods I had always successfully used to lose/maintain weight or increase fitness--stepping