Skip to main content

This Week In Food...Super Simple and Light, Roasted Vegetable Pasta

Okay, I haven't thrown any recipes your way in a while, so I thought I'd do a quick recipe post...because I love you and want you to eat well.

We had this dish again last week and I was reminded how much we all love it (kids too!). I was also reminded how easy it is. And I like that it's easily customizable...you really can do whatever veggies you and your family like, and you can change it up whenever you make it. Plus there's an added bonus...it makes the kitchen smell good when you're cooking it!

So here it is...


Roasted Vegetable Pasta (adapted from Cooking Light)
8 oz. sliced gourmet mushrooms (baby bellas, shitakes, or a mix of what you like)
1 red pepper, chopped into large bite-size pieces
1 onion (red, yellow or sweet, whatever your preference), quartered and sliced
1 tbsp olive oil
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp black pepper
1/4 c. dry white wine (whatever you're happy to drink is fine...and pour yourself a glass while you're at it!)
8-12 oz. Farfalle (bowtie pasta) (depending on how many you're cooking for and whether or not you want leftovers)
1 c. frozen peas, thawed
1/4 c. thinly shaved fresh parmesan cheese (you can also use grated or shredded)

Preheat oven to 475 degrees. Combine mushrooms, peppers, onions (or whatever veggies you're using), oil, salt and pepper in a bowl and toss to coat. Arrange mixture in single layer on jelly-roll pan. Bake at 475 for 15 mins. Turn veggies over. Drizzle wine evenly over veggies. Bake an additional 7 mins. or until veggies are tender and lightly browned. While veggies are cooking, cook pasta according to package directions, drain and keep warm. Combine pasta, roasted veggies and peas in large bowl and top with cheese.

Remember, you can change the roasted veggies to your taste. Here are some ideas: summer squash (or even butternut), zucchini, tomatoes (try cherry or grape tomatoes and you can leave them whole for roasting), broccoli, carrots...really anything that roasts well...use whatever is in season or whatever you have on hand, and play with your combinations! Just keep in mind that some veggies may require a little additional cook time, so check for "doneness" before you take them out of the oven...and try to keep the veggie pieces similar in size for roasting (i.e. don't chop your peppers tiny but your carrots in big chunks...aim for on the large end of bite-size).

Also remember that not everybody in the family needs to like every veggie you use. The design of this makes it very easy to pick around the things you don't like. For example, I love the mushrooms, so more of those go on my plate; Portia doesn't like red peppers, so we scoop around them when serving her's up.

That's it for today. More to come. Go forth and create yummy eats. And, as always, happy cooking!

Comments

Popular Posts

Crunchy Ramen Noodle Salad…I am so in love!

Here's a great little summer dish. A perfect side for whatever you've thrown on the grill. A great dish to pass for that neighborhood BBQ. A lovely salad to just make up and leave in the fridge for easy lunches on a hot day. It's Ramen Noodle Salad. Now, I'm not sure this dish actually qualifies as clean eating, despite the word "salad" in it's name…what with the ramen noodles and the seasoning packet. But it is so seriously good that I could have eaten the ENTIRE giant bowl of it. Seriously. When I made it last week I could not stop eating it. It might actually be a little addictive. So, don't say I didn't warn you... Crunchy Ramen Noodle Salad 2 pkg uncooked ramen noodles 2.5 oz sliced almonds (or just a big handful) 3/4 c. sunflower seeds 1/2 c. finely chopped onion (whatever kind you have) 1 bag broccoli slaw 2 ramen noodle seasoning packets 3/4 c. oil (use what you like; I used canola oil) 1/2 c. white vinegar 1/3 c. sugar

OMG Honey Mustard Pretzel-Crusted Chicken...So Good!

I made this chicken last weekend when we had family in visiting...this drives my husband nuts when I try out new recipes when we have guests...just because one little time dinner turned out awful! (Seriously, it was barely edible. Oops!) I say, this is the occasional price we pay for wonderful food exploration! And this Honey Mustard Pretzel-Crusted Chicken is a fantastic example of just that! It. Was. Delish.  So here you have it...tasty AND company-worthy! (My 4 year old loved it too...I mean, who doesn't love pretzels and honey mustard!) Honey Mustard Pretzel-Crusted Chicken   (from cinnamonspiceandeverythingnice.com) 4 c. hard sourdough pretzels, coarsely crushed 1/2 c. olive oil 1/2 c. Dijon mustard 1/3 c. honey 1/4 c. water 3 tbsp red wine vinegar (or other mild vinegar...I used white wine because it's what I had on hand) coarse salt and black pepper 1 1/2 lb boneless, skinless chicken breasts Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Set wire rack (like oven-safe coo

30 Days to a New Me: Danette May's 30 Day New You Challenge Review

 A little more than 30 days ago I was in despair. If you read my last post, you already know that I found myself in a post holiday/start of a new year funk. And I knew that a big part of that funk had to do with how I was (or in this case, wasn't) taking care of myself. I had let the holiday season take over my life and my better judgment. I had given up good eating and exercise habits. I had stopped writing. I hadn't had a moment to myself. It was not good. But one part of where I was mentally, emotionally and physically wasn't just holiday backlash. It was part of a bigger problem. Since we moved to our current home over three years ago, I had gained weight. A lot of weight, for me. (As of January 1, I weighed the most I had ever weighed outside of pregnancy.) I had tried many, many times to lose that weight, as I was gaining it, over the last few years. I used the same methods I had always successfully used to lose/maintain weight or increase fitness--stepping