Skip to main content

Sunday Night Crazy

I continue to marvel at the never-ending, low-level of crazy that permeates my daily life nowadays. Gone are the days of big drama that made up my pre-marriage-and-kids life. Those days were filled with dating drama and trauma (Will he call??? Is he really interested???...Now I'm pretty sure he will and he is.), late-night bar-hopping and crazy antics with friends, lunatic travel schedules and long, stress-filled work days. Not anymore. I don't typically have the stress-level spikes I once had. What I have instead is a constant, easy-flowing stream of chaos. Like my life has become a babbling brook...lots of little ripples, no major water falls. Which is good. Except that I often don't get a break from the constant crazy. Sunday night is a fabulous example.

After a wonderful weekend at my brother and sister-in-law's place in Indianapolis, we arrived home late in the afternoon Sunday. We unpacked the car, picked up the dog from the Pooch Palace, then I bustled around unpacking and settling us back in before dinner and bedtime. Neither of the kids had slept well while we were gone, so both were exhausted and went down relatively easily and even a little early. Which was great. Until about 9pm, when Holden started fussing. We let him go for a while, since he was back in his own bed in his own room, not wanting to encourage bad habits. But after three rounds of cry-fall back asleep, cry-fall back asleep, cry, we decided it might be teething pain that's been bothering him the last few days and got out the baby Advil.

I went in to pick him up and soothe him while Rolland got the goods and came in to dose him. It was a bit of a challenge to settle him down and get the medicine into him, but we finally managed it. Rolland had work to do, so I sacrificed the last fifteen minutes of the show I had been watching and settled into the chair in Holden's room to give the Advil a chance to work and get him back to sleep.

About five minutes later I hear a loud crash, followed by a series of thundering bangs and then a big thud. Something just went crashing down the stairs!

I jump from the chair-- Holden starts crying again, either from the loud noises or my reaction, not sure which-- and run from the room. I round the corner to the stairs and this is what my eyes take in: The heavy, wooden banister is pulled from the wall and laying across the stairs and Rolland is laying facedown at the bottom of the stairs.

Enter: panic.

While clutching Holden to my chest I rush down the stairs quietly calling to Rolland, "Are you okay? Are you okay?....Oh my God, Rolland, are you okay?" I am trying to maintain composure and not further upset Holden or wake Portia if she hasn't already woken from the crashing, and my mind is already racing forward...how do I get him to and ER and cover the sleeping kids?

Rolland lays on the floor with his eyes closed, head turned to the side, and quietly sighs, "I'm okay."

I am now crouched down on the floor by him. "Are you sure? Are you sure you're okay? Oh my God, Rolland, what happened?" I say, softly.

As he slowly rolls over and sits up, Rolland explains to me that after cleaning up the medicine stuff in the bathroom he headed downstairs, lost his footing about three stairs in, grabbed the banister to steady himself, snapped the metal brace, slammed into the stairs on his back, whacked his head on the then-fallen banister, and careened down the remaining stairs and into the wall at the bottom.

Oh.

Shit.

So we get him up, get him ice packs for his head and back and get him to the couch. After multiple assurances from him that he is, in fact, okay, I take Holden back upstairs. We settle back into the chair in his darken room only to hear the loud pops of fireworks outside...followed closely by low whining outside the bedroom door...and a moment later, more firework pops and slightly louder whining and thumping, as the dog attempts to break-in to Holden's room.

Yeah, Cooper's afraid of fireworks.

So, I get up once again to let the dog in to lay on my feet while I rock Holden. Once we are settled back into peace and quiet, I can't help but think that Portia will wake up screaming from a bad dream in the next minute or two.

Thankfully, she does not. Awesome girl that she is, she sleeps through the night and doesn't learn of its events until the following morning.

At 10:30pm, I finally lay a soundly-sleeping Holden in his crib and quietly usher Cooper from his room, holding his collar so he doesn't wake the baby with one of those crazy dog-head-shake-collar-jingle things that he always does at the most inopportune times. I then head CAREFULLY downstairs to check on the patient. I do a full assessment of his head and back and we decide he will be sore and bruised, but otherwise fine. Thankfully. We then check out the banister damage-- a ding in the wall and the need for new braces (one is snapped and the other bent), close-up shop, and head back upstairs for bed.

Where I sleep soundly until 5am when Holden starts fussing again. Ugh.

Babble, babble, babble. Ripple, ripple, ripple. Chaos, chaos, chaos. Crazy, crazy, crazy. Such is my life. Crazy and wonderful.

And at least I know he'll call.

Comments

Popular Posts

Crunchy Ramen Noodle Salad…I am so in love!

Here's a great little summer dish. A perfect side for whatever you've thrown on the grill. A great dish to pass for that neighborhood BBQ. A lovely salad to just make up and leave in the fridge for easy lunches on a hot day. It's Ramen Noodle Salad. Now, I'm not sure this dish actually qualifies as clean eating, despite the word "salad" in it's name…what with the ramen noodles and the seasoning packet. But it is so seriously good that I could have eaten the ENTIRE giant bowl of it. Seriously. When I made it last week I could not stop eating it. It might actually be a little addictive. So, don't say I didn't warn you... Crunchy Ramen Noodle Salad 2 pkg uncooked ramen noodles 2.5 oz sliced almonds (or just a big handful) 3/4 c. sunflower seeds 1/2 c. finely chopped onion (whatever kind you have) 1 bag broccoli slaw 2 ramen noodle seasoning packets 3/4 c. oil (use what you like; I used canola oil) 1/2 c. white vinegar 1/3 c. sugar

OMG Honey Mustard Pretzel-Crusted Chicken...So Good!

I made this chicken last weekend when we had family in visiting...this drives my husband nuts when I try out new recipes when we have guests...just because one little time dinner turned out awful! (Seriously, it was barely edible. Oops!) I say, this is the occasional price we pay for wonderful food exploration! And this Honey Mustard Pretzel-Crusted Chicken is a fantastic example of just that! It. Was. Delish.  So here you have it...tasty AND company-worthy! (My 4 year old loved it too...I mean, who doesn't love pretzels and honey mustard!) Honey Mustard Pretzel-Crusted Chicken   (from cinnamonspiceandeverythingnice.com) 4 c. hard sourdough pretzels, coarsely crushed 1/2 c. olive oil 1/2 c. Dijon mustard 1/3 c. honey 1/4 c. water 3 tbsp red wine vinegar (or other mild vinegar...I used white wine because it's what I had on hand) coarse salt and black pepper 1 1/2 lb boneless, skinless chicken breasts Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Set wire rack (like oven-safe coo

30 Days to a New Me: Danette May's 30 Day New You Challenge Review

 A little more than 30 days ago I was in despair. If you read my last post, you already know that I found myself in a post holiday/start of a new year funk. And I knew that a big part of that funk had to do with how I was (or in this case, wasn't) taking care of myself. I had let the holiday season take over my life and my better judgment. I had given up good eating and exercise habits. I had stopped writing. I hadn't had a moment to myself. It was not good. But one part of where I was mentally, emotionally and physically wasn't just holiday backlash. It was part of a bigger problem. Since we moved to our current home over three years ago, I had gained weight. A lot of weight, for me. (As of January 1, I weighed the most I had ever weighed outside of pregnancy.) I had tried many, many times to lose that weight, as I was gaining it, over the last few years. I used the same methods I had always successfully used to lose/maintain weight or increase fitness--stepping