Skip to main content

This Week In Food...Two Simple Summer Salads, Delicious!

I've been out of the blogging loop for a bit again. I don't know what happens, exactly. One week I'm plugging away, and the next week things just fall apart on me. And fall apart they have. I'm not certain what prompted my most recent breakdown (like an old car on the side of the road), but something happened after a Father's Day spent in happy servitude and, well, Monday, the wheels came off the bus. I think it'd been building for a few weeks. Not enough "me time" (read: not ANY me time, really), not enough sleep, too much going on, no two mornings a week of preschool for Portia...maybe it was my baby turning one that pushed me over the edge, I just don't know. Anyway, I am working on putting the pieces of my sanity back together now (read: babysitter, yoga and wine...not all at once, though) and thought I'd take a few minutes to share some recipes we've enjoyed in the last couple of weeks.

Summer salads! It is HOT here this week, so who wants to heat up the kitchen even more with a hot stove? Not me. So I've been leaning heavy on salads and side dishes of fruit...which, let's be honest, my waistline could use as well (now if I could just get my evening snacking under control and I'll be all set!). So, both of these salads are super easy and super yummy (my favorite combo) and both are originally from Cooking Light.



Chicken Salad with Asparagus and Creamy Dill Dressing
2 1/2 c. asparagus, cut on the diagonal in 2 inch pieces
2 c. shredded or cubed cooked chicken breast
1/2 c. thin-sliced radishes
Creamy Dill Dressing (see below)
8 fresh, ripe tomato slices
Fresh ground black pepper

Dressing
1/2 c. lowfat mayo (can use regular mayo)
1/2 c. low/no-fat buttermilk (can use regular buttermilk)
1 tbsp chopped fresh dill
1 tbsp fresh lemon juice (juice from half a lemon)
1/4 tsp kosher salt
1/4 tsp black pepper

Combine dressing ingredients in large bowl and stir well with a whisk. Steam the asparagus until crisp-tender (about 3-5 minutes). Drain, plunge in ice water till cool, then drain again. Add asparagus, chicken and radishes to bowl and toss well. Serve salad atop tomato slices and top with fresh ground pepper.

Seriously, this is so good! My daughter loved it. Even my one year old ate it. And I was sopping up the dressing with bread. And, it took no time to make. A real summer winner!


Whole Wheat Mediterranean Panzanella
1 tbsp vegetable oil
3 tbsp white balsamic vinegar (I use regular balsamic)
1/8 tsp kosher salt
1/4 tsp fresh ground pepper
6 1/2 c. chopped tomato (3 large tomatoes)...OR...3 red, yellow and/or orange peppers (I make it with peppers because my husband doesn't like tomatoes, and it is so good this way!)
1 1/2 c. cubed english cucumber
1/2 c. pitted kalamata olives (I omit these because I'm not a huge olive fan.)
1/2 c. fresh basil leaves, torn
6 oz. whole wheat country-style bakery bread torn or cut into bite-size pieces (about 4 cups, or a little more than half a typical loaf)
1 4 oz package crumbled feta cheese (I've even used goat cheese before, when that was all I had on hand, so you can substitute accordingly...but feta's the best.)

Combine first 4 ingredients in large bowl and stir with whisk. Add veggies and mix. Add bread and cheese and toss gently until well combined. Serve immediately. Keep the oil and vinegar on hand and once everything is combined see if you'd like a little more moisture in the salad--I've added extra dressing before. If so, just mix the oil and vinegar in the same ratio as above in a small bowl, then pour over salad and toss a bit more.

This is really yummy and light. We eat it as dinner, but it could also be a great side dish when you're grilling out-- great with grilled chicken or with burgers and dogs.

Serve both of these salads with a side of fruit...maybe watermelon and honeydew? And I recommend a loaf of bakery sourdough with the Chicken Salad. And if your sanity is anywhere near the place mine has been lately, a nice glass of wine should be had, as well (sauvignon blanc or chardonnay would pair nicely with them...though I like a nice pinot noir or light, red blend, myself).

That's it for this week in food. Enjoy the salads and stay cool...and, of course, happy cooking!

Comments

Popular Posts

Crunchy Ramen Noodle Salad…I am so in love!

Here's a great little summer dish. A perfect side for whatever you've thrown on the grill. A great dish to pass for that neighborhood BBQ. A lovely salad to just make up and leave in the fridge for easy lunches on a hot day. It's Ramen Noodle Salad. Now, I'm not sure this dish actually qualifies as clean eating, despite the word "salad" in it's name…what with the ramen noodles and the seasoning packet. But it is so seriously good that I could have eaten the ENTIRE giant bowl of it. Seriously. When I made it last week I could not stop eating it. It might actually be a little addictive. So, don't say I didn't warn you... Crunchy Ramen Noodle Salad 2 pkg uncooked ramen noodles 2.5 oz sliced almonds (or just a big handful) 3/4 c. sunflower seeds 1/2 c. finely chopped onion (whatever kind you have) 1 bag broccoli slaw 2 ramen noodle seasoning packets 3/4 c. oil (use what you like; I used canola oil) 1/2 c. white vinegar 1/3 c. sugar

OMG Honey Mustard Pretzel-Crusted Chicken...So Good!

I made this chicken last weekend when we had family in visiting...this drives my husband nuts when I try out new recipes when we have guests...just because one little time dinner turned out awful! (Seriously, it was barely edible. Oops!) I say, this is the occasional price we pay for wonderful food exploration! And this Honey Mustard Pretzel-Crusted Chicken is a fantastic example of just that! It. Was. Delish.  So here you have it...tasty AND company-worthy! (My 4 year old loved it too...I mean, who doesn't love pretzels and honey mustard!) Honey Mustard Pretzel-Crusted Chicken   (from cinnamonspiceandeverythingnice.com) 4 c. hard sourdough pretzels, coarsely crushed 1/2 c. olive oil 1/2 c. Dijon mustard 1/3 c. honey 1/4 c. water 3 tbsp red wine vinegar (or other mild vinegar...I used white wine because it's what I had on hand) coarse salt and black pepper 1 1/2 lb boneless, skinless chicken breasts Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Set wire rack (like oven-safe coo

30 Days to a New Me: Danette May's 30 Day New You Challenge Review

 A little more than 30 days ago I was in despair. If you read my last post, you already know that I found myself in a post holiday/start of a new year funk. And I knew that a big part of that funk had to do with how I was (or in this case, wasn't) taking care of myself. I had let the holiday season take over my life and my better judgment. I had given up good eating and exercise habits. I had stopped writing. I hadn't had a moment to myself. It was not good. But one part of where I was mentally, emotionally and physically wasn't just holiday backlash. It was part of a bigger problem. Since we moved to our current home over three years ago, I had gained weight. A lot of weight, for me. (As of January 1, I weighed the most I had ever weighed outside of pregnancy.) I had tried many, many times to lose that weight, as I was gaining it, over the last few years. I used the same methods I had always successfully used to lose/maintain weight or increase fitness--stepping