Skip to main content

This Week In Food... A Few Good Recipes From My Recipe Box

Today I'm just sharing a few good recipes of mine. These are all things I've made many, many times and are ones my whole family enjoys. And shock of all shocks...they're not from Pinterest! These are actually from long before I discovered Pinterest. So, enjoy!



The Best Damn Turkey Burgers
It's grillin' season! Whip up these burgers and toss them on the grill and you will not be disappointed. This recipe originally came from Cooks.com and was called Cajun Turkey Burgers. However, they don't taste "Cajun" at all (they're not spicy)...but they are awesome. Truly. If you think turkey burgers tend toward the tasteless hockey puck variety, try these and it will change your mind. I swear. And they're easy.

1 lb ground turkey (get lean, not extra-lean...you need a little fat in it)
1 egg, beaten
1 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp garlic powder
1/2 tsp onion powder
1/2 tsp ground red pepper
1/2 c. seasoned dry bread crumbs (you can use plain too)

Mix together all ingredients and make into patties (the recipe says 6, we make 4). Make a dent in the center of each patty--it helps them cook better. And grill. Add cheese, if you like. And toast your buns right on the grill. Yum! I like to serve them with fresh fruit and corn on the cob.

A Really Easy, Yummy, Healthy Pasta...
This is one of the pastas I make all the time in the summer because we get great zucchini at the farmer's market. It is simple and light, as a summer pasta should be. I think this recipe originally came from Real Simple magazine a few years back.

Spaghetti With Zucchini, Walnuts, and Raisins

Spaghetti with Zucchini, Walnuts and Raisins
12 oz. spaghetti (or other pasta)
3 tbsp olive oil
1/2 c. walnuts, chopped
4 cloves garlic, sliced or minced
1 1/2 lbs zucchini, cut in half and sliced into half-moons
3/4 c. golden raisins
salt and pepper
1/4 c. Parmesan cheese, grated

Boil water and cook pasta according to package directions (I like to use a good whole wheat pasta to make it healthy). Meanwhile, heat oil in large skillet. Add walnuts and cook for 3-5 mins, until beginning to lightly brown and release their aroma. Add garlic and cook for another minute. Add raisins and zucchini. Salt and pepper to taste. Cook another 5-8 mins, tossing occasionally, until light browning on zucchini. Drain pasta. Toss pasta and zucchini mix together. Add Parmesan cheese and mix. Serve. This is a complete meal in itself, no real need for side dishes...I love that!

Something A Little Different To Do With Pork Chops...
If you make a lot of pork chops for dinner-- kinda like you make a lot of chicken breasts-- this is a nice way to mix it up. Everyone in my family loves the sauce. And you could certainly put it on chicken too. The recipe originally came from Cooking Light.

Pork Chops with Mustard Cream Sauce
4 boneless pork chops
salt and pepper
1/2 c. chicken broth
2/3 c. half and half (you can use fat free if you like)
1 tbsp dijon mustard (I usually put in a little extra)
2 tsp lemon juice (yeah, you can even use the bottled kind)

Salt and pepper both sides of the chops. Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat. Coat the pan with cooking spray. Add pork and cook about 4-5 minutes on each side--until it's nicely browned and done (internal temp of 130 degrees). Remove from pan and keep warm (put them on a plate and tent them with foil so they can rest-- always let your meat rest for at least 5 mins). Add broth to the pan and scrape brown bits from bottom. Then add half and half, mustard and lemon juice. Reduce heat and simmer until thickened (the recipe says 6 mins, but it always takes more to thicken a sauce for me). You really can serve this with anything...but might I suggest  some steamed, fresh green beans and some long grain and wild rice.

So there you have it. Three good recipes to try out. All easy. All healthy. All delicious. So enjoy...and happy cooking!

Comments

Popular Posts

Crunchy Ramen Noodle Salad…I am so in love!

Here's a great little summer dish. A perfect side for whatever you've thrown on the grill. A great dish to pass for that neighborhood BBQ. A lovely salad to just make up and leave in the fridge for easy lunches on a hot day. It's Ramen Noodle Salad. Now, I'm not sure this dish actually qualifies as clean eating, despite the word "salad" in it's name…what with the ramen noodles and the seasoning packet. But it is so seriously good that I could have eaten the ENTIRE giant bowl of it. Seriously. When I made it last week I could not stop eating it. It might actually be a little addictive. So, don't say I didn't warn you... Crunchy Ramen Noodle Salad 2 pkg uncooked ramen noodles 2.5 oz sliced almonds (or just a big handful) 3/4 c. sunflower seeds 1/2 c. finely chopped onion (whatever kind you have) 1 bag broccoli slaw 2 ramen noodle seasoning packets 3/4 c. oil (use what you like; I used canola oil) 1/2 c. white vinegar 1/3 c. sugar

OMG Honey Mustard Pretzel-Crusted Chicken...So Good!

I made this chicken last weekend when we had family in visiting...this drives my husband nuts when I try out new recipes when we have guests...just because one little time dinner turned out awful! (Seriously, it was barely edible. Oops!) I say, this is the occasional price we pay for wonderful food exploration! And this Honey Mustard Pretzel-Crusted Chicken is a fantastic example of just that! It. Was. Delish.  So here you have it...tasty AND company-worthy! (My 4 year old loved it too...I mean, who doesn't love pretzels and honey mustard!) Honey Mustard Pretzel-Crusted Chicken   (from cinnamonspiceandeverythingnice.com) 4 c. hard sourdough pretzels, coarsely crushed 1/2 c. olive oil 1/2 c. Dijon mustard 1/3 c. honey 1/4 c. water 3 tbsp red wine vinegar (or other mild vinegar...I used white wine because it's what I had on hand) coarse salt and black pepper 1 1/2 lb boneless, skinless chicken breasts Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Set wire rack (like oven-safe coo

30 Days to a New Me: Danette May's 30 Day New You Challenge Review

 A little more than 30 days ago I was in despair. If you read my last post, you already know that I found myself in a post holiday/start of a new year funk. And I knew that a big part of that funk had to do with how I was (or in this case, wasn't) taking care of myself. I had let the holiday season take over my life and my better judgment. I had given up good eating and exercise habits. I had stopped writing. I hadn't had a moment to myself. It was not good. But one part of where I was mentally, emotionally and physically wasn't just holiday backlash. It was part of a bigger problem. Since we moved to our current home over three years ago, I had gained weight. A lot of weight, for me. (As of January 1, I weighed the most I had ever weighed outside of pregnancy.) I had tried many, many times to lose that weight, as I was gaining it, over the last few years. I used the same methods I had always successfully used to lose/maintain weight or increase fitness--stepping